I would buy me a green dress (but not this here green dress - that's cruel)

I went to the mall last night to shop for a dress for a wedding this weekend, a top to wear under my suits, navy blue shoes, a navy purse and a black purse. But mostly the dress. The problem was, I couldn't concentrate on one thing, because I had all these other secondary purchases that I wanted to make as well. So I had to visit every store and every department for anything that I might be interested in buying. As my time at the mall went on, it started to fill up with teenaged girls in skimpy tank tops and those little ruffly skirts.

By the time I got to the last stop, my brain was starting to melt from dragging myself unsuccessfully through the whole mall without finding a single thing even worth trying on, from the agoraphobia and from the hatred of those ruffly skirts and the brainless gossipy girls in them. So when I got to Hudson's Marshall Fields (which I had saved for last for easy exit to my car) I decided that the only thing to pick me up would be to play I'm Going to Buy This For You. There was no one else to play with, so I found the ugliest dresses that I could in my own size. I did find a few things that I was actually interested in buying, but I was more excited by how excruciating the others were.

I was most attracted to these two dresses (the pink and green thing at right and this pastel/metallic nonsense) because they were on some super clearance for the low low price of $70! This means that at some point, someone had the idea to ask for more than $100 for these things! I wanted to photograph them just so that I could share with the world how ridiculous the fashion industry was, but I didn't want to do it in public. So I took them into the fitting room and - as long as they were in there and were in my size - I decided to try them on.

Then they fit! They fit better than most of the dresses I'd brought into the fitting room with a mind to buying! Once again, I had that fit of insanity where I start to think A dress that fits me for once?! I should buy it! It's not really so ugly, is it? No! It's beautiful! And it fits! Somehow I managed to talk myself out of it and to congratulate myself on bringing my camera with me so that I could keep photographic evidence that dresses sometimes fit me... without actually buying the rags.

srah - Tuesday, 16 August 2005 - 9:24 AM
Tags: , , ,

gravatar tj - August 16, 2005 - 11:02 AM -

cute ... very nice. you should buy TWO!

gravatar Not Your MOM - August 16, 2005 - 1:28 PM -

I don't see what's so terrible about it. You look cute in it or were you going for sophisticated?

gravatar srah - August 16, 2005 - 1:44 PM -

It's just so... green. And pink. And green-and-pink. With pink ruffles.

gravatar Smuj - August 16, 2005 - 8:09 PM -

BNL reference. Awesome.

gravatar Not Your MOM - August 16, 2005 - 10:12 PM -

I love BNL and recognized the reference right away!

gravatar bobby - August 16, 2005 - 11:36 PM -

Wow! You look fine! And this post brightened my otherwise hum-drum evening.

gravatar Cari - August 17, 2005 - 3:08 AM -

I actually like the dress

gravatar Cheryl - August 17, 2005 - 8:09 AM -

1) I call it Hudson's, too. No one but people back home know what I am talking about.

2) I like the green dress, too. I do NOT like the metallic dress.

gravatar srah - August 17, 2005 - 8:52 AM -

Well, if I bring a little joy into your humdrum evening, it makes me feel as though my hard work ain't been in vain for nothin'. :D

I think there must be something about this dress that I didn't capture correctly in photograph form. Did you all look at the bigger-sized photo on Flickr? Check out those ruffles! It ain't happening!

gravatar EV - August 17, 2005 - 10:42 AM -

Yeah I actually kind of like it from the picture too. By the way, how on earth did you take those pictures? I'm stumped.

gravatar srah - August 17, 2005 - 10:47 AM -

I used the timer and set it on the little tray where loose pins are supposed to go. Looking back, it can't have been a good idea to put a digital camera on top of a magnet!

gravatar Not Your MOM - August 17, 2005 - 11:49 AM -

I went to the larger photos and I still like this dress on you. Except, are those bows of lace above the ruffles (or pleats, I can't see how far down they go)? If so, I would take them off ASAP. Is it too late to go back and get this dress?

I think if you were on What Not to Wear, they would encourage you to get this dress. :-)

The other dress was hideous. I can't imagine it looking good on anyone!

gravatar somewhat - August 17, 2005 - 8:37 PM -

The pastel/metallic thing looks like a costume from a low-budget 70s SF show. The green one I think comes out in pictures better because it's hard to appreciate the true pinky ruffliness of the pink ruffles - they do just look like a bit of plain trim. But the blue one is fabulous.