Previous entry:
« A blogger is born!

Tastes like... chicken?

Apete, SarahM and I went to a chocolate tasting at Zingerman's earlier this week. I never got around to blogging anything about the balsamic vinegar or sea salt tastings we went to earlier this month, so I decided I had to make an effort to get this chocolate thing blogged!

What this chocolate tasting did was confirm my worst suspicions: I am a chocolate philistine.

After a lengthy explanation of the chocolate making processes and everywhere where the cheapo chocolates cut corners, we were given little cups with samples of different chocolates. We tasted them, then were asked to describe each one. I, of course, liked the ones that the expert taster turned her nose up at - the ones that were packed with sugar instead of chocolate flavor. That's what I like in my chocolate! After years of tasting experience, I have come to the conclusion that dark chocolate is bitter and yucky! I want something sweet and creamy and if that's the cheap stuff, so much the better!

Sigh. I want to put top-quality balsamic vinegar and sea salt on everything, but I think this particular Zingdoctrination has failed.

srah - Saturday, 30 July 2005 - 1:30 PM
Tags: , , , , ,

gravatar katie - July 30, 2005 - 1:40 PM -

Heathen! Dark chocolate is da bomb. Dark chocolate with almonds is da, er, bomb.

gravatar katie - July 30, 2005 - 1:41 PM -

Dammit, srah! Would you please tell your prudish filter to stop yelling at me every time I use an elipsis?????

gravatar Jamie - July 30, 2005 - 2:14 PM -

I'm with Srah. I always like the pure sweet stuff better than the supposedly better bitter and - well - chocolatey thing. The same reason why I don't get the deeper meaning of healthy wholesome cakes and cookies. They're cakes and cookies! If I want to eat healthy I'll take a carrot or an apple. But if I want something sweet to spoil my appetite with it has better be loaded with sugar and all the other sweet stuff.

gravatar Sylvie - July 30, 2005 - 2:21 PM -

White chocolate is the best mmmm I haven't had chocolate for 3 weeks now ... 3 weeks and a day.

gravatar srah - July 30, 2005 - 2:22 PM -

Sorry. 'Tis fixèd.

gravatar Not Your MOM - July 30, 2005 - 2:43 PM -

I think as you get older your tastes will change and you will start to enjoy the subtle flavors of dark chocolate. I can hardly bring myself to eat Hersheys or Nestles chocolate anymore. Yuck. Give me Dove dark chocolate or some of the better German or Belgian chocolates.

gravatar Noor - July 30, 2005 - 4:35 PM -

Most American chocolate is pure crap (Hershey's is probably got more water than milk). I hate dark chocolate but the best chocolate in my opinion is Swiss chocolate.

Damn you Srah! I've been eating healthy most of the summer and now I want some chocolate! ;)

gravatar Jamie - July 30, 2005 - 6:08 PM -

Lindt is great. And really expensive. It makes a very good present therefore. Especially when you're the givee.

gravatar Not Your MOM - July 30, 2005 - 7:30 PM -

Some of the best chocolate I have eaten I bought in a store in Ulm, Germany. It was very good, but I can't remember the name now. I don't think it was a national brand. Probably a bit like Morley's chocolate, which is rather good for being a MI brand.

gravatar katie - July 30, 2005 - 7:32 PM -

Hey, thanks. Sorry for cussin' atcha. ;)

The best chocolate bars in the world are the ones they sell at the register in the cafeteria at IKEA. The ones with the hazelnuts. The only way they could be better is if they came in dark chocolate.

gravatar Sylvie - July 30, 2005 - 11:02 PM -

I love Cadburys mmmmm damn you too Sarah but I will stay strong and not go get chocolate!