As Oprah does, so does the world

I learned today that Oprah Winfrey got her ears pierced for the first time this week, at age 51. I've always been conflicted about ear piercing, myself.

Pros:

• I think earrings look nice and I think I would look nice with earrings.

• Robin always tells me that I should get my ears pierced because I can't wear most other jewelry. And that way I can get hypothetical future boyfriends to buy me jewelry. Ahem.

Cons:

• I kind of enjoy being the only mutant freaktard who doesn't have pierced ears. I bask in attention. :-\

• I'm afraid of infection! I'm not sure I'm responsible enough to take care of my own ears. That sentence I just wrote cracks me up.

• I had a dream in middle school where I was wearing hoop earrings and this kid ripped them out of my ear and ripped half of my ear off. It's scarred me for life.

• As an acknowledged ear fetishist, how can I profane my perfect virgin ears in such a way? Whose earlobes will I fondle once I've ruined mine?

Sigh. The Cons, it would seem, are still outweighing the Pros. These ears won't be pierced today.

srah - Thursday, 24 February 2005 - 4:54 PM
Tags: ,

gravatar alfie - February 24, 2005 - 5:10 PM -

Ahem.

gravatar srah - February 24, 2005 - 5:12 PM -

I'm sorry! You're a mutant freaktard too! Does that make it all better?

gravatar Jamie - February 24, 2005 - 7:19 PM -

OMG, you summed up all my pors and cons, except that I didn't have that dream. As of yet, I haven't made my mind up. I've liked my virgin earlobes so far and I'm sure I wanna spoil that just because of stupid (but pretty) jewelry.

gravatar Nathan - February 24, 2005 - 10:48 PM -

Get those magnet earrings...

gravatar Jamie - February 25, 2005 - 4:18 AM -

Those hurt. Believe me, I tried them.

gravatar jamelah - February 25, 2005 - 8:10 AM -

I've had my ears pierced since I was six, but the piercing was quite a harrowing experience. Well, not really the piercing, but the lead up to the piercing. See, when my mom explained how piercing is done, she used the word "gun" and I was completely horrified, because it created this mental image of someone standing across the room from me with a rifle and firing an earring at my head. For about a year, I cried every time I walked by a Claire's Boutiques store. But then one day, my impulsiveness took over and I got the deed done. And though I was relieved that no one fired an earring at my head from a rifle, my sense of drama was also more than slightly disappointed that it was a completely painless affair.

And that really has nothing to do with anything, but there you go.

gravatar Not Your MOM - February 25, 2005 - 9:04 AM -

Stop being such a baby and get them pierced! I have a nice pair of earrings I will give you. Do you like pearls, opals, green jade or plain gold best?

Don't wear hoops so no one will rip them out. Besides, if you change your mind, you can let them grow shut... and have lots of earrings to give away to people thinking about piercing their ears.

gravatar AKA Megan - February 25, 2005 - 12:44 PM -

Not that you even know me and I'm sure my opinion doesn't really matter here, but I got my ears pierced when I was 10. My Mom bought me some pretty, little, red heart earrings for Valentine's Day and ON Valentine's Day she took me to the local Dr. (we lived in a very small town) and he pierced my ears. She could have taken me to a little shop similar to Clair's, but she wanted it done medically correct and without the risk of anything damaging my ears. (What a good Mom!) Anyway, the whole ordeal was rather painless. I won't say it was without a little pain, but it went away very quickly. Since than, I've worn some rather gawdy earrings thru the years (I grew up in the 80's) but now, being older, and I feel much more sophisticated, I stick with my diamond & platinum studs. I never change them. They're classic and never go out of style. I think I'd feel naked without them. The whole point of this long-winded comment, was to tell you to do it and to treat your ears well and wear something with style. That way rather than think of having Virgin ears, you can feel that you have stylish ears!
P.S...The ear heals quickly and as long as you don't play with your earrings a lot while your ears are healing, you'll be fine. I haven't had a problem with my ears being pierced in ..geesh, I can't remember when. Ok, well just thought I'd throw that out there. Yes, I'm a total stranger, but I felt compelled to comment. Have a great weekend!

gravatar mommy - February 26, 2005 - 10:22 PM -

I like your virgin ears. Grandma experienced allergic reactions to the earrings when she had her ears pierced. I was afraid that you might also be allergic to metals.

gravatar soo - February 27, 2005 - 6:52 AM -

Here's another one who's afraid of getting ears pierced. Me and my friend kinda agreed that if people get their ears pierced , they look 1.2 times prettier..haha. But I still havn't decided yet..

gravatar Not Your MOM - February 28, 2005 - 11:44 AM -

You won't know if you are allergic until you try. I got my ears pierced when I was 16 and had no problems. Years later I got a second set of holes and I couldn't wear any earrings without the holes turning red and sore and had to let them close up. Why would that be?