Yet another cry for help

I'm thinking of using my tax refund to buy a digital camera before Alternative Spring Break this year. I always find myself wanting to take pictures of things for my blog, knowing that by the time I develop and scan the photos, they will no longer be relevant and I will find myself stuck paying for the developing of a picture of this one really fat squirrel that I saw!!!11one that I don't even care about anymore.

I'm thinking of something light and compact in the $200-350 and 3-4 megapixel range. Good battery use and easy transfer of photos from camera to computer would be a plus. Does such a thing exist? Any recommendations/decommendations for specific brands or models?

Actually, do you really want to recommend anything, knowing that I will inflict on you pictures of this one really fat squirrel that I saw!!!11one?

srah - Saturday, 29 January 2005 - 6:12 PM

gravatar Cari - January 29, 2005 - 6:31 PM -

You mean Ninja Dawgie :-p

gravatar srah - January 29, 2005 - 6:38 PM -

I said squirrel and I meant squirrel. >:-o

gravatar Smuj - January 30, 2005 - 12:15 AM -

The Canon Digital Elphs are good. I've got a 2MP that has served me well over the past few years. It's small and rugged enough to carry around in my front pocket and takes good pictures.

I got a Sony DSC-W1 (5MP) for Christmas. It's bigger than the Canon, but it's got a 2.5" LCD (very cool) and takes great pictures. It's got a very flexible manual mode, too.

I was looking at the Konica Minolta Dimage A200 (8MP, $750) before my dad gave me the Sony. I've never used one personally, but I've heard good things about them. It's probably overkill for what you're looking for, though.

I like my camera phone for snapping pictures for my weblog. It's only 480x640, but I've always got my phone with me and I can post the pictures instantaneously from wherever I am.

gravatar Gary LaPointe - January 30, 2005 - 2:15 AM -

I love my 3.2MP (Konica) Minolta Dimage XT, it's small (sideways, it's a tiny bit wider and thicker than my iPod photo, but nowhere near as tall) and flat and the lens doesn't stick out. It takes SD/MMC chips has a cable and you can use it like a thumb drive to get he tpictures off, does movies, can record short audio for the images, can be just an audio recorder and has video out for a monitor and more that I can't think of right now...

I was just looking at the new one (Dimage X50) at the Apple Store today (Novi), I think it was 5MP and 2.8 optical zoom (but the front of the camera is very flat) it was $399 though.

They've got a few different models of it at http://dealcam.com/
I think all the flat ones have an "X" in the model name/number.

gravatar Noor - January 30, 2005 - 12:31 PM -

I really like my Canon PowerShot S40. It's a few years old but I think the PowerShot has gotten smaller, better, and cheaper. I'm not familiar with the Elphs but if they're as good as the PowerShots, go for it. Stay away from the Olympus cameras. I've played with a couple at an old job and a graphic design class in college. They tend to shoot really dark pictures. I've heard good things about the Nikons but I haven't had any experience with any of them.

A Srah Flickr stream should be fun - even if it is of the fat UM/A2 squirrels! ;)

gravatar MOM - January 30, 2005 - 1:55 PM -

The cheapest solution would be to borrow Mike's camera since he never uses it. At least I never get any photos from him and that was the whole idea of giving it to him as a gift.

gravatar Smuj - January 30, 2005 - 2:10 PM -

I agree on the Olympus cameras. The ones I've used have all been crap.

gravatar srah - January 30, 2005 - 6:04 PM -

Noor - you'll have to show me how to do such a thing! Right after you show me how to do that cool playlist-printing thing from iTunes. Let's have a srah-help workshop!

gravatar eliz - January 30, 2005 - 9:52 PM -

you'll have to let me know what you go with -- i'm curious. that tax refund to fund digital camera idea...i like it.

gravatar Jez - January 31, 2005 - 5:21 AM -

My digital camera is an Olympus, and I have no complaints about it.

gravatar natalie - January 31, 2005 - 10:43 AM -

i have a nikon cool pix 2000 that i got as a gift a couple years ago...it takes fantastic pics, very easy to download and the batteries last forever...i think the 2000 is no longer being made but i'm sure the newer models are just as good...

gravatar soo - February 1, 2005 - 12:23 AM -

I have a nikon coolpix 4500..it takes great pics, but kinda big to carry around. With some of nikon models, you can rotate the lense, and I think that's the pretty big advantage. It's good for self shots. So I would recommend nikon coolpix SQ. And canon's Elph would be good as well. =)