'Til Twosday?

It is a truth universally acknowledged that Matchbox 20 suck and are, in fact, the same group as Third Eye Blind. Are there any good* bands with numbers in their names? All I've come up with is Three Dog Night.

–––––
* Note: wrong answers will be mocked mercilessly.

srah - Wednesday, 29 September 2004 - 12:52 PM

gravatar Jez - September 29, 2004 - 1:20 PM -

Never heard of the Matchbox 20.

The Jackson Five? They were good until each member went their own way and developed serious mental illnesses.

Ben Folds Five.

Two Banks of Four (I played this in the car with you)

Erm...that's it.

gravatar Michelle - September 29, 2004 - 1:33 PM -

U2!!

Also, Maroon 5 are pretty good.

That's all I got.

gravatar Rachel - September 29, 2004 - 1:37 PM -

3 Doors Down? nope...
Three Days Grace? Though I do sing an excellent rendition of their song, still nope...
311? Finger11? eh.
What about The Max Weinberg 7, do they count? ;)

gravatar Kyle - September 29, 2004 - 1:41 PM -

Pizzicato Five?
Six Feet Deep?

Hmm, I think you're on to something here. The only other bands I can think of with numbers in their names are pretty much ass. Blink 182, 3 doors down, 3 days grace. Meh.

gravatar Maine - September 29, 2004 - 2:30 PM -

I suppose this is a matter of personal tastes, but I nominate:

The Four Tops, Galaxie 500, 764-Hero, L7, Nine Inch Nails and the Old 97's

Can we do this with songs next? That's be much, much easier.

gravatar DavidH - September 29, 2004 - 3:31 PM -

I've been listening to Five Iron Frenzy all week. We must also remember the B 52's, who are at least good in a "Hey, remember the 80's?" kind of way.

gravatar MaTT - September 29, 2004 - 3:56 PM -

how about Van Halen? :)

gravatar srah - September 29, 2004 - 4:54 PM -

The B-52s suck worse than Matchbox 20! At least Matchbox 20 are bland background music rather than annoying voices screeching about lobsters!

(Cheryl will beg to differ... just wait...)

And I don't know, Matt, how about Van Halen?

gravatar Somewhat - September 29, 2004 - 7:35 PM -

If we're doing "hey I remember the 80s", can I have Haircut 100?

gravatar basil - September 29, 2004 - 7:39 PM -

Sixpence None the Richer. Funny story: I was working stage crew for a Christian rock festival in the States they played once, and I was lucky enough to be right off stage as they were playing. These guys really are some incredible musicians. Before that night, I had only heard "Kiss Me," and snippets of other songs. They had just finished recording their follow up album to the one "Kiss Me" was on, and they had not played together in over a month and a half. So for this gig, they played mostly stuff from their new album, and they were tight. Then, halfway through the set, Leigh Nash says, "If you have not heard this next song by now, you may count yourself blessed." And they played "Kiss Me." I was blown away and laughing; here's the biggest hit of their career, and she's joking about how overplayed it is. Very real.

gravatar Annica - September 29, 2004 - 8:45 PM -

Maybe Matt meant One Halen?

One Man & His Droid and Three Minute Poetry are... interesting? And German. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but what's up with those Germans?

I, for one, kinda like Matchbox 20. They've done some decent stuff. There. Let the mocking commence... *swoosh - Tomato Shield(tm) is UP!*

gravatar bob - September 29, 2004 - 9:02 PM -

ben folds five? MC 5? Jurassic 5?

gravatar srah - September 29, 2004 - 10:59 PM -

To Annica: *sticks thumbs in ears, waggles fingers while scrunching up eyes and going "nyah nyah nyah"*

gravatar tbone - September 29, 2004 - 11:07 PM -

i agree with srah, all of these bands suck.

gravatar Matt S. - September 29, 2004 - 11:09 PM -

The 5.6.7.8s
Dave Clark Five
The Oneders
The High Numbers (later The Who)

and for the name alone -
Hank Plank and the 2 x 4s

gravatar srah - September 29, 2004 - 11:10 PM -

TEEEEEBS! I miss you!

gravatar Annica - September 30, 2004 - 6:01 PM -

Ah yes, the Ostrich Approach to War. I know thee well...
;-)

> Hank Plank and the 2 x 4s

I think I might buy an album just because of that name.

gravatar lee - October 2, 2004 - 7:43 AM -

Agree with earlier posters that the Jackson Five and Nine Inch Nails do NOT suck. Otherwise, agree with Srah that most number bands suck.

gravatar mikeh - October 4, 2004 - 11:49 AM -

Geez, haven't you realized numbers are totally out by now :) The two in is pairing an adjective and noun to sound artsy/deep e.g. Glass Halo, or just using some utterly destructive sounding word e.g. Oblivion.
And as for the above bands I can't really say that any of them are really good-good bands in my opinion though Jurassic 5 has some good stuff--the rest are sorta 1 hit wonders. Speaking of which, what good stuff did three dog night have other than one is the loneliest number, which, now that I've thought of it, i'll probably have in my head for the rest of the day

gravatar srah - October 4, 2004 - 12:11 PM -

Joy to the World, Old Fashioned Love Song, Mama Told Me Not to Come, Black and White, Eli's Coming, etc. (21 consecutive Top 40 hits)

gravatar Cheryl - October 4, 2004 - 12:14 PM -

I actually *was* going to defend the B52's until Sarah mentioned me doing so and now I don't want to, just out of spite.

Wait...can't help it...Love Shack was my favorite song in fourth grade.

Ha ha, I win!

gravatar Frank - October 6, 2004 - 12:09 AM -

The Four Tops and The Five Satins.

gravatar Dewey Decimation - October 6, 2004 - 4:02 AM -

UB-40, U-2, .38 Special, Black 47, The Three Suns, Five Guys Named Moe, Ninetynine, Zero 7, Remy Zero, The 3-D Invisibles, Gang of Four, The 6ths, BR-549, 999, 10cc, 10,000 Maniacs, Heaven 17.