Previous entry:
« To ponder

Not that this would happen

If, hypothetically, I were to be driving 80mph on the way to, say, work or something, I bet that it would really piss me off if people hypothetically passed me in the right lane.

srah - Tuesday, 4 May 2004 - 10:17 AM

gravatar Jez - May 5, 2004 - 6:15 AM -

I do 80+ all the time on the motorway (or freeway, if that's what you call it) and people still zip past me.

gravatar Smuj - May 5, 2004 - 6:49 AM -

Sounds like 696. The speed limit is 70, but they really mean 120.

gravatar katie - May 5, 2004 - 8:40 AM -

70? The highest legal speed in Vermont is 65!

I drive 75-80, usually. Law-breaker!

gravatar The Urstodian - May 5, 2004 - 9:47 AM -

I hear that the speed limit in Nebraska is 80. In Tennesse it is 75.

I got a ticket on I-94 in Minnesota for going 85 in a 70, but I swear I was only going 80.

They were probably Illinois drivers, those damn Illinois drivers! (unless it was Pennsylvania)

gravatar srah - May 5, 2004 - 11:04 AM -

Probably Pennsylvania. ;)

gravatar Matthew the Young - May 5, 2004 - 4:19 PM -

Hey, we PA drivers have a nice slow-paced 65 MPH in our state, not like you crazy midwestern states... (although everybody still does 80 and passes in the right lane too, so, uh...)

gravatar Cheryl - May 5, 2004 - 5:28 PM -

I'm always the fastest but that's because these Ohio drivers are slow (and bad) drivers (ok, so maybe I like to pretend I'm in a race against time, too). 60mph? Bah!

Snoop Doggie Dogg just came on the radio!

gravatar Urs - May 5, 2004 - 5:47 PM -

hey, WI, IL, IN AND OH are all 65, oddly enough its only the states where I attended college that have 70 MPH on the interstates

gravatar katie - May 6, 2004 - 8:15 AM -

When I see someone flying up behind me to pass on the right, I pull over into the slow lane, which forces them to obey the law and pass me on the left. This not only annoys them, but entertains me. And I feel like a law-abiding citizen then.

How do you spell citizen? My eyes are playing tricks on me and that looks wrong.

gravatar Smuj - May 6, 2004 - 8:40 AM -

I've been known to do something similar on 2-lane roads. I tend to go 5-7 mph over most of the time, so when someone speeds up behind me and rides my bumper, I get very annoyed. ("What, am I not speeding fast enough for you?") My payback is to slow down to 10-15 mph below the speed limit in no-passing zones, and then floor it so they can't pass me in passing zones, repeating the process until I get bored with it, or the jerk behind me gets to wherever it was that they were in such a hurry to go.

("Citizen" is right. OS X underlines misspelled words in browser form fields. It's very handy.)

gravatar Cheryl - May 6, 2004 - 10:20 AM -

480 in Ohio is 60 when running with 271.

gravatar Cheryl - May 6, 2004 - 10:21 AM -

480 in Ohio is 60 when running with 271.

Robin and I have a trick. If someone is cruising in the fast lane and going real slow (and by slow, I do mean slow, not by our standards slow), we pass on the right and then blinker in front of them and then blinker back into the right lane. And it actually works. I've done it and people move over. Stupid slow people. It's fun to be obnoxious.

gravatar Cheryl - May 6, 2004 - 10:22 AM -

Oops, posted that twice. But I did add a line the second time. And now I'm just filling up your comments. Ha ha!

gravatar alfie - May 6, 2004 - 10:47 AM -

Huh. To think you could be filling a blog with these type of stories.

gravatar Urs - May 6, 2004 - 2:42 PM -

I was behind a slow person in the left lane last year on I-94 on my way to the Twin Cities, and let me tell you, MN drivers are kinda dumb and this story only proves it.

Anyway, I tailed this person to let her know that she is going too slow in the left lane and she starts braking to let me know that I am tailing her and she doesn't like it. I motion for her to move over to the right lane because she is going slow and SHE motions for ME to move! So I have to pass her on the right because she wanted to go slow in the left lane! It was incredible!