My parents are always making me stick around to help with the moisture harvest, too...

I'm still shopping for a laptop, but also checking out accessories and digital cameras because I am under the mistaken impression that I am made of money*. It occurs to me that to take my new baby to France with me, I will need some kind of equipment in order to be able to plug it into European walls and not make it explode. Plug converters were easy enough to find at Best Buy, but I think I may have to shop around a bit for a thingy to convert the power.

Or maybe I don't really need to shop around, but I just like to refer to every place I look for power converters as the "Taaaaaaaaaaashi Staaaaaaaaaaaaation."

–––––
* In fact, I am made of milk chocolate with a candy shell and a delightful praline filling.

srah - Saturday, 15 May 2004 - 5:28 PM

gravatar George Hotelling - May 15, 2004 - 7:33 PM -

I don't know how it is with other companies, but my PowerBook just needed a $30 adapter set. If you wind up getting an Apple you're more than welcome to the French connection, just email me and let me know you need it.

gravatar katie - May 15, 2004 - 7:57 PM -

Srah, I must object to your continual abuse of poor Luke. It's not his fault he inherited his father's whiney gene. At least both he and his sister managed to avoid the bad acting gene, dominant in both parents.

Well, Leia and the non-extending bridge was just bad, but she was under duress so we'll forgive her.

Wait, this post wasn't about Star Wars?

gravatar srah - May 15, 2004 - 9:00 PM -

Sigh... I think I'll go PC this time... the conversion to Mac may come later.

gravatar The Urstodian - May 15, 2004 - 9:30 PM -

I warn you to test out the converter because I don't want you to have the same experience with your laptop that I had with my printer in South Africa

I plugged the printer into the converter
I plugged the converter into the adapter
I plugged the adapter into the wall
I turned around to get some paper
I heard a pop and a fizzle
I turned to see smoke coming out of my printer
My room smelled of burning electrical equipment for the rest of the night

gravatar MaTT - May 15, 2004 - 10:01 PM -

This sentence, taken out of context, is hilarious: "It occurs to me that to take my new baby to France with me, I will need some kind of equipment in order to be able to plug it into European walls and not make it explode." :D

What color candy shell do you have?

gravatar srah - May 16, 2004 - 1:23 AM -

Monkey-suit-colored, with an human-suit-colored outer shell.

gravatar Mer - May 16, 2004 - 12:26 PM -

Yes--I'm aware France != England, but in England, we just had the plug adapter. My husband insists that the little rectangular thing that comes with your laptop and connects the two power cords is enough of a transformer.

My husband says, "Check the power brick and see what voltage it can take in--and then check what France puts out in terms of power. (Should be findable on-line."

So, we laptopped around Great Britain with no more than a $9 plug-adapter.

gravatar Somewhat - May 16, 2004 - 2:23 PM -

Mer is right. In England we have 240v and in France it's around 230v but varies a little. I think you'll just need a socket adaptor. I take no responsibility if it blows up though!!

gravatar Josh Crockett - May 17, 2004 - 10:46 AM -

You need to look for the following text on the AC power adapter:

"AC 110-240V 50~60 Hz"

If that's on there, you can travel pretty much anywhere on the planet that has AC electrical power, and you'll be fine with just a socket adapter, because the adapter can take anything. The good news is that most modern laptops come with adapters like this.

gravatar Jez - May 17, 2004 - 5:15 PM -

I recently heard that laptops with Centrino processors are very s-l-o-w if you use Dreamweaver or Photoshop or other such software on them. Just thought I'd let you know.

gravatar srah - May 17, 2004 - 6:24 PM -

*cries*

I hate you, Jez! I am madly in love with Centrino.

gravatar Jez - May 17, 2004 - 6:56 PM -

Oh, well in that case then, maybe I can gallop up in shining armour and save the day by pointing you in the direction of this forum for translation dweebs such as myself:

gravatar srah - May 17, 2004 - 8:31 PM -

Slow, quiet and cool. Just like me. :)