Previous entry:
« The Friday Five

I'm a little tea-snot

I have always been a snob and am no less snobby when it comes to tea. As a tea-drinker, I like to think that I have something over all of the coffee-drinkers out there. I like to imagine that I am in some way more sophisticated than the java-guzzling proles*.

I imagine that one day, scientists will find out that - like cigarettes - coffee is really bad for you, but all of the evidence has been hidden for years. Meanwhile, millions of people will be addicted to caffeine and I, who have only tasted coffee once or twice and declared it undrinkable, will laugh through my long life.

Some people are dependent on coffee and meander zombie-like through days that have not begun with a cup, drinking more to keep awake through the day. And yet, I'm beginning to find that I'm just as dependent on tea. My average 4 cups of tea a day has just as much caffeine as 2 cups of coffee. Any day that I'm running late and skip my tea is pretty lost, as I prop my eyes open with toothpicks and loll around all day.

It's not better at all!

–––––
* Which would be a good band name. Yes, I am Dave Barry.

srah - Friday, 9 April 2004 - 5:01 PM
Tags: ,

Tea from ASquared - April 10, 2004 2:46 PM

A random question (inspired by a recent srah post): Does anybody know of any good places to buy tea (as in loose-leaf or bags in stores, store sections, etc, versus cafes that sell tea by the cup) in the Ann... [Read More]

gravatar Smuj - April 9, 2004 - 5:56 PM -

What kind of tea do you drink? I'm partial to chai, but I've been drinking a lot of green tea lately.

gravatar Pauly D - April 9, 2004 - 6:42 PM -

You obviously didn't hear...

Coffee and caffiene can cause you to grow a second pinky toe on one of your feet. It's not totally common, but it happens in some people, especially those who alternate between tea and coffee.

gravatar Urs - April 9, 2004 - 7:59 PM -

I seem to be on a one woman campaign against caffeine - I start to use it when stressed out from school, but I don't drink it normally so even the tiny bit of it in non-caffinated espresso gets me going at first, but then I need a soda, then one shot of espresso, then two and then.... the semester is over

caffine is bad, I hate it.

On another note, does green tea have caffiene? because I drink that becaise it helps metabolism....

gravatar frank - April 9, 2004 - 10:02 PM -

Some green teas have caffeine. Some don't. I think you have to ask specifically (or look) for non-caffeinated green.

I like to pretend that tea is not as addictive as coffee. Alas, I don't think that's the case.

I would be hard-pressed to give up on tea.

gravatar Urs - April 10, 2004 - 9:47 AM -

well, I only drink tea very sporatically - but back when I was in south africa I used to have a cup of five roses tea for breakfast everyday

gravatar srah - April 10, 2004 - 12:02 PM -

I generally drink Earl Grey although I'm fond of Ceylon and chai (and bubble tea and iced tea and jasmine tea and...)

gravatar Matthew the Young - April 10, 2004 - 1:19 PM -

I love iced tea, although i don't drink it alot anymore...(why do i keep writing this if i don't drink it?) And i'm starting to drink Bubble Tea more often, but i doubt i will get as bad as some of the 'regulars'...

What is Ceylon?

gravatar srah - April 10, 2004 - 2:29 PM -

Do they have Ceylon here? It's quite popular in France and Chile but I haven't found it much here. Maybe we call it something else.

gravatar frank - April 10, 2004 - 2:37 PM -

I used to like Earl Grey but I am boring now and drink English & Irish Breakfast.

I need to expand my tea palette.

Has anyone ever had high tea? Now there's an experience.

gravatar srah - April 10, 2004 - 2:39 PM -

I scones with clotted cream...

gravatar Vanessa - April 11, 2004 - 10:25 AM -

Actually, your 4 cups of tea a day have as much caffeine as about 3 cups of coffee in them, so coffee-breath apart, theres little difference. :)

gravatar Rachel - April 11, 2004 - 2:28 PM -

Greeb tea is actually good for you. According to WebMD it has cancer fighting antioxidants

gravatar katie - April 12, 2004 - 1:40 PM -

I thought green tea was really high in caffeine, but I don't really know. I like green tea with mint. mmmmm.

Also, coffee. Chocolate Truffle Cream flavored coffee. And for your information, I only drink one cup a day, in the morning. Because it's yummy.