Previous entry:
« Dream

srah's athletic exertion for the week

Having read a few books with characters who are athletes, I know that when you push yourself in athletic pursuits, chemicals called endorphins are released into your blood. You will push yourself beyond pain in order to release these chemicals, which drug your brain and make it happy. Athletes build up immunities to endorphins, though, which explains the athletic drive. Like with any addiction, the more you get, the more endorphins you need to get that buzz the next time.

Running late for being early this morning, I combined frantic flailing running (think Phoebe on Friends) with brisk walking and breath-catching and terrible hacking and lung-coughing-up all the way from the bus stop to work*. Maybe there's some kind of plateau you have to reach in these athletic pursuits, because I don't feel any endorphins. I've got plenty of pain, but nothing is pushing me to keep going. I don't feel any desire to hack up any more lungs or to ever run anywhere again, thankyouverymuch.

* All the way from the bus stop to work: Across the Diag.

srah - Monday, 9 February 2004 - 9:21 AM

gravatar Urs - February 9, 2004 - 9:38 AM -

well - maybe you would feel good without the cold, crazy running and desire to not look like you just ran? what do I know.... I just want to exercise because its something to DO, rather than eat like its my fricken job... ok, Urs needs to stop complaining

gravatar CommanderFalafel - February 9, 2004 - 10:21 AM -

I do the same thing on the way to the bus that always seems to come at some random time, when I'm leaving my house in the morning. Stupid Ann Arbor Transportation "Authority."

gravatar krista. - February 9, 2004 - 10:26 AM -

Hey, if you're going to run like Phoebe, perhaps ye should consider really getting into it like Phoebe, and then there would be an endorphin rush. Make it a point to do so every morning, and gradually, you'll start feeling it. Either that, or you'll attract a crowd...but whatever.

gravatar srah - February 9, 2004 - 10:35 AM -

Run? Every morning? What kind of sicko are you?

gravatar katie - February 9, 2004 - 12:09 PM -

I tried running every morning. But I couldn't get myself out of bed to do it before work. I can barely get myself out of bed to GO to work.

gravatar krista. - February 9, 2004 - 3:57 PM -

I'm not saying you should run far--I just think that you should run from the bus stop to work. Wouldn't that be fun? You know you wanna! And if you do it all the time, it'll save you from looking silly when you're really late. ;) Argue with *that* logic!

gravatar srah - February 9, 2004 - 4:01 PM -

Logic? What logic? Running every day is clearly worse than running once!