My ADDled mind

I joked about having paper-writing ADD the other day, but it's got me thinking: What if I do have Attention Deficit Disorder?

Why am I thinking this? Is it because Katie was recently diagnosed so I want to have it too? Is it because I'm a terrible hypochondriac and always decide that I have every disease I read about? Is it because it sounds like such a trendy disorder to have? Is it because I want an excuse for being scatter-brained? Is it just because I'm mentally exhausted right now and I'll be fine once I can catch up on my sleep?

A lot of the symptoms I've seen sound familiar, but there are others that don't, and everyone is distractable, to some extent. It would explain a thing or two, though. I don't want to think about it too much, because if I were diagnosed, I would feel like I had to take medication for it and I don't want to play with my brain like that. I like my brain and I like the way it works... most of the time.

Maybe I'm just being ridiculous and stupid. I will try out the Getting Some Sleep thing over break and see if that helps any.

P.S. I don't mean to cheapen the experiences of anyone who actually has ADD by speculating that I might have it, based on a few symptoms. I just wonder.

srah - Saturday, 6 December 2003 - 4:15 PM
Tags: ,

gravatar MiRaGe - December 6, 2003 - 4:57 PM -

I have a theory about this. I think most people can exhibit the *symptoms* of have almost any disorder if put in the situation that might promote it. For example, normally, I don't consider myself to have ADD, but when I've procrastinated, I feel a deadline looming, I'm staying up too late, and I'm under a lot of stress, I definitely exhibit most, if not all, the signs of someone with ADD.

But that doesn't mean that I have the disorder. I guess it's all a matter of degree, because what I consider stressful, others may not (and vice versa). I don't know, I'm rambling, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that what you prescribed for yourself--getting some sleep--will probably make a world of difference. Then you'll chuckle at yourself for thinking you might have had a problem. Until the NEXT time you're put in a stressful situation, that is. *sigh*

gravatar katie - December 6, 2003 - 9:54 PM -

No, you're not cheapening it. Although I've noticed a strange tendancy in myself to get really defensive about it lately. But it's very understandable how people can sometimes feel like they are having "ADD moments". ADD is such a weird disorder to have. Because what we suffer from is, as you say, something that everybody deals with from time to time. The difference is that we experience it a) in an extreme form, AND b) all the time, AND c) over the course of our entire lives, AND d) because our brain chemistry is funky.

But hey, why not look into it? Maybe you'll learn something about yourself that you didn't know. The very least that could happen is you'll have a negative diagnosis but you get to find out what your IQ is! Start by reading.

gravatar jamelah - December 7, 2003 - 8:56 AM -

i don't think you're cheapening the experience... it's something that's easy to wonder about. if you're curious about it, it's worth looking into because the tests are more fun than, say, riding roller coasters all day. (or something.)

i was diagnosed with ADD when i was 15, after watching something on television and thinking "huh. that sounds like me." i've never taken meds for it, and i've found ways of working with and around the fact that i can't focus ever. so, if you do pursue it, and find out that you can join the ranks of us with no attention spans, remember that it's a livable thing and you can continue liking your brain the way it is.

of course, you should continue liking your brain the way it is, regardless.

gravatar Murph - December 7, 2003 - 3:21 PM -

I think that everybody has AD(H)D moments--it's when those moments don't have many other moments between them when it becomes a "disorder". I find that coffee helps me with mine, though it could be because I read somewhere that caffeine and ritalin bind to the same neuroreceptor, and I'm therefore just getting a placebo effect. All the ADHD people I've known, though, have been big caffeine fans.

gravatar katie - December 8, 2003 - 9:17 AM -

My ADD book talks about caffeine. From what I remember, Murph's correct that it deals with the same neuroreceptor as ritalin. However, my book said that the problem with this is that caffeine is too mild to have a strong enough effect. So lots of ADDers drink coffee (myself included!!) to try to wake their brain up, but it only does a partial job. :)

gravatar jday - December 10, 2003 - 1:43 PM -

As I am employed by a drug company, I feel I should say, "Drugs are GOOD!". However, many people are able to function normally without the assistance of chemicals regardless of their diagnosed diseases. But drugs are good!