What can I see from the limited confines of my bus riding seat?

I enjoy hating everyone on the campus bus with me. Somehow everyone on the bus ends up being a complete moron and is always having incredibly loud conversations, via cell phone or with their neighbor, about pointless, stupid things that are probably very important to them, but I don't care and I hate being trapped in a small space with them.

Recently while riding the bus, I sat in front of a guy and a girl who were having a conversation. The guy was your normal bus-trash, but the girl had interesting and funny things to say and was making fun of the stupid guy, although he didn't realize it. I liked her... and I hated her for it.

What was she doing, invading my hate-space with her normalcy? The bus ride is for me to appreciate my superiority over everyone else! Cool people only confuse me. People on the bus should always drive me crazy so that I can appreciate getting off the bus that much more. They shouldn't be smart, they shouldn't be snarky, they shouldn't--

"RING! RING! RING!" announced her cell phone.

Saved!

srah - Tuesday, 11 November 2003 - 11:16 AM

gravatar katie - November 11, 2003 - 12:20 PM -

LOL to this one too! Also, I like the phrase bus-trash. Also, I hate people on busses.

It is especially annoying to listen to people arguing with their significant others on cell phones. No one around says anything, because we're afraid of making the arguer realize that we're all listening. But no one wants to be listening, so it's horrible.

This happens to me at least twice a week on this college campus.

gravatar Justin - November 11, 2003 - 12:25 PM -

I feel this way about movie theater patrons. If I'm at the theater, seeing a movie on my own, I sit there in the theater waiting patiently for the movie to start and as I do, I have to listen to all of these idiots around me talk about idiotic things.

Of course, when I go to the movie with somebody, then I am the one talking about idiotic things. But at that point, I just don't give a crap.

gravatar srah - November 11, 2003 - 12:25 PM -

The worst is being trapped between two people on cell phones. Of course, then you can have fun by pretending they're talking to each other.

1: "So we're running into serious problems because the contractor can't keep up with his schedule! I don't know why he's lagging like this."
2: "Yeah, I know! He was, like, so drunk! And you were totally making out with him!"

gravatar katie - November 11, 2003 - 1:34 PM -

LOL!

gravatar Josh Crockett - November 11, 2003 - 7:26 PM -

Y'know, the bus drivers deal with those people for three hours (three to six loops, depending on the route) at a time. Only problem is, we weren't allowed to get a superiority complex about them. It is kind of tough not to, though, when you witness four guys arguing over who's going to order the pizza, since the owner of the cell phone is far too drunk to do so himself. (Note to self: bus driver stories == good stuff for blogging dry spells!) My girlfriend was always amused by Hands-Free Guy, the guy who never got on the bus she rode last year without his cell-phone earpiece in.

Serious props for the Caedmon's Call lyric selection (as modified), by the way. "I'm just a bus driver, what do I know?"

gravatar Mr. B--------- - November 12, 2003 - 1:34 AM -

Did you know that "normalcy" is a word that was made up in 1920 for Harding's presidential campaign? I would love to be responsible for bringing a word into our language.