Hooray! Now I can hate me on the bus!

After months of planning and stalling, srah finally gets around to going to buy a cell phone. Our scene takes place at the AT&T Wireless store at the mall.

(approaches counter)
AT&T Wireless Dude: Can I help you?
srah: Yes. I would like a cell phone.
(Rolls eyes, realizing that she is in a cell phone store. Continues.)
AT&T Wireless Dude: Alright, what are you looking for?
srah: I know exactly what I want because I tried to buy a phone on your website, but it's completely unusable so I couldn't.
(Dies a little on the inside, realizing how SI and User Interface Design are ruining her life. Continues.)
AT&T Wireless Dude: Unusable? The phone?
srah: No, the website. I couldn't buy what I wanted. It's horrible and useless. And the feedback form doesn't even work.
(Wants to stop self from talking because clearly this guy is not going to be able to do anything about the stupid corporate website, but has to keep forging on because the site sucks so hard... so bad... and wicked bad. Continues.)
srah: So I couldn't get the phone, so I've come to get it here. I want this one (points) and I want the $39.99 National plan for one year.
(Srah fills out a form with her information and boring negotiations are carried out in regards to specials they have going on, free Internet access for a month, etc.)
AT&T Wireless Dude: Well, I might not be able to get this activated today. Our system is down at the moment. Usually I could get you going in fifteen minutes, but it might be a while until they get our system fixed. So I'll call you when you can come and pick up the phone. (looks at "phone number" entry on form) Do you have this number here?
srah: Do I have... what?
AT&T Wireless Dude: This number here?
srah: That's my phone number, yes.
AT&T Wireless Dude: Do you have it on you?
srah: (blank look)
AT&T Wireless Dude: (sighs) Is this your cell phone number?
srah: (blank look) I don't have a cell phone. That's why I'm here.

He didn't seem to know how to deal with the fact that I didn't have a cell phone. Mr B------ points out that some people buy cell phones when they already have one, because they're transferring their service or for whatever other reason. My problem is that he seemed to assume that I already had one, when I think the default assumption should be that I don't.

srah - Saturday, 15 November 2003 - 4:12 PM
Tags: , ,

gravatar Mr. B------- - November 15, 2003 - 4:42 PM -

I didn't explicitly point out that it was for transferring purposes, but that's about the only reason I can think of... I just said that I guess someone could have a cell phone already... but you're right in that it seems kind of strange that the possibility did not cross this man's mind that you might -not- already have one.

I assumed at first that he thought you wanted two. Why wouldn't you?

gravatar srah - November 15, 2003 - 5:03 PM -

Then I could talk to myself as I walked down the street... and pay money for it!

gravatar srah - November 15, 2003 - 5:05 PM -

"Jeremy" just called - my phone is ready! I am looking forward to more hijinks with ATTWG!

gravatar Chris - November 15, 2003 - 8:22 PM -

I promised myself that I would never get a mobile phone as well. That vow was broken two summers ago when I got fed up with people never contacting me - ever. They still don't, but at least I can play Snake when I'm on the loo. ;O) I used to get really fucked off if people let their phones ring in the library - even here at the Bodleian in Oxford!! - but now it happens every day and I'm kinda used to it. My dad is one of these people who would never get a phone either, but he was actually the first one in our family to relent to the curse because his boss wanted to be able to keep tabs on him. He never switches it on, so it's pretty useless. Except, that is, when he's on a visit back to the UK...like at my maternal grandmother's funeral...I was standing next to him in the chapel and his phone went off! He didn't even know it was his because no one ever rings him and he therefore doesn't recognize his own ringtone! ::Duh, and indeed, duh!:: It was kind of a comedy funeral anyway, so it didn't really offend anyone. We had quite a good party in the pub afterwards and everyone was really happy. But that's another story. By the way, have you checked out my blog recently? It's got my self-portrait on it...

gravatar Jez - November 16, 2003 - 1:45 PM -

- "Jeremy" just called - my phone is ready!

No I didn't. I haven't got your phone.

gravatar srah - November 16, 2003 - 5:16 PM -

I'd like my wee phone to play Que Sera Sera when it rings. Any suggestions on finding that?

gravatar katie - November 17, 2003 - 8:24 AM -

I still refuse to get a phone. I want to continue to be able to justify making fun of you on the bus.

gravatar cristina - November 17, 2003 - 8:49 AM -

ha, cell phone drama. i love it! i just use mine as a toy here in france. would never want to have one in the states unless i had money to burn, or um, unless they offered me a lifetime supply of free textos.

gravatar Keith - November 17, 2003 - 10:29 AM -

AT&T Wireless Dude: Can I help you?
srah: Yes. I would like a cell phone.
(Rolls eyes, realizing that she is in a cell phone store. Continues.)

You do realize that not all people come up looking to buy a cell phone. Some just have questions, some just want to tout how superior their carrier is, and some have problems they want us to help with!

And unless someone explicitly states they are a new wireless consumer, it is a perfectly valid question to ask if the number they have written down is a cellular phone. :p

gravatar srah - November 17, 2003 - 10:39 AM -

Hey! Whose side are you on, Cingular Dude?

gravatar Jez - November 17, 2003 - 11:37 AM -

Cellphone "tunes" are the work of the Devil. I just have mine set to, you know, ring, with a normal telephone noise.

gravatar srah - November 17, 2003 - 11:40 AM -

All of the rings that came with the phone suck. I wish there was something that sounded like a normal telephone instead of a chirp or something.

I've downloaded "Hey Ya!" because I'm a geek.

gravatar alfie - November 17, 2003 - 6:13 PM -