Previous entry:
« Comma chameleon
Next entry:
What if? »

It's all downhill from here

I finally got back my first number-graded paper as a graduate student today. Everything up to this point has been checks and check-plusses, which are just joke-grades and have been tossed at me left and right and willy-nilly.

The results were much better than expected, but I'm sure there will be plenty more to bring me back to my sad, pathetic reality soon. Either that or I am a crackerjack writer and will get a fantastic report card to show my parents. I'm not particularly concerned because I was prepared for failure by all of my professors, who have been shooting us down and trampling on our egos, telling us not to aim too high and to be satisfied with a B because we made it into grad school and employers aren't going to care about our grades as long as we pass.

srah - Tuesday, 7 October 2003 - 7:11 PM

gravatar katie - October 7, 2003 - 9:43 PM -

I believe that we, your readers, can all attest to the fact that you are definately NOT a crackerjack writer.

Peanut brittle, perhaps. But not Crackerjacks.

gravatar Jez - October 8, 2003 - 4:10 AM -

Crackerjack! That was a BBC children's TV programme when I was a wee nipper. Probably not what you were referring to though.

I can't remember any of my grades from university, but employers don't care about that. All they want to know is if I have a degree or not.

gravatar lee - October 8, 2003 - 5:40 AM -

Srah - at least you aren't in two different programs (at the same time) whose pass rates are, respectively, 32% and 11%. And we're talking here about just passing, not passing-with-flying-colors.

gravatar srah - October 8, 2003 - 7:08 AM -

I don't even know the pass rate here. Should I? Perhaps.

gravatar cristina - October 8, 2003 - 8:50 AM -

see, that's why my ambition flew out a random university window in my sophomore year. sure, i finished school with decent grades, but i never want to go back. ever. everrr...you can't make meeee!! ok, all better (not bitter!) now :)

gravatar Cheryl - October 9, 2003 - 12:26 PM -

Really, it's true. Grads don't really matter. At least that's how I look at it. They already know we're smart enough to be there. But I got an 100% on my first quiz, in primates, and I magnetted it to my refridgerator.