Oh NPAre they?

I have become, in the last week, one of those people who listens to NPR. I'm not quite to the point of the people who listen to NPR because commercial radio is beneath them (I can still listen to the oldies station despite their propensity for owls pukin' in my bed), but I have been trying it out off and on and becoming a bigger nerd than I already was. Tonight on the way home from an SI classmate's party*, I learned about Elijah Muhammad and the Indian Hug Guru**.

–––––
* Apparently SI and socializing are not mutually exclusive, a common misconception among... well, me, actually.
** These were separate stories, in case you wondered.

srah - Sunday, 28 September 2003 - 2:10 AM

gravatar lee - September 28, 2003 - 5:10 AM -

Growing up, my parents would torture my siblings and I by driving 14 hours straight to my grandparents' house in Minnesota with NPR blasting the entire way. I grew to hate the All Things Considered music. How can a seven-year-old read her "Choose Your Own Adventure" books with someone screaming in her ear about Reagan's foreign policy?

Yet, I, too, have become enraptured by NPR's thrilling broadcasts in the last two years. It is part of my morning ritual, and probably my favorite part.

Oh, and I'm an even bigger dork because I don't even have American radio. So I actually hooked up my stereo to my computer so that I could listen to NPR's streamline broadcast online. Your nerdiness pales in comparison, my friend.

gravatar Jez - September 28, 2003 - 5:52 AM -

I take it NPR is a news/spoken word radio station. That kind of station is invaluable to me. I love pottering about at home with BBC Radio 4 burbling away in the background.

gravatar patricia - September 28, 2003 - 11:16 AM -

around the office if you don't listen to NPR you may as well admit that you kick kittens for fun. just for that i resisted it for a long time. even though it was very much a cutting off the nose to spite the face thing as the few times i'd listened i really enjoyed it. but in the last year, i've taken to listening on the drive in and it's a good way to get the day started. i let it slip to a few people that i had come around and the smug little looks they gave me were so annoying.

hey, did i mention i'm really like eight years old? i'm so petty. :D

gravatar Justin - September 28, 2003 - 3:11 PM -

I love NPR. The station around here that plays it also plays a lot of music (of the indie, local, eclectic variety) and they're playing less and less NPR stuff. But the news updates are still there twice an hour and they've yet to get rid of "This American Life," probably the best NPR program ever.

And I listen to it because I am, largely, above commercial radio. Except the Oldies station. And since they killed my beloved 80s station and turned it into a "contemporary Christian/positive country" station, I'm kind of bitter.

gravatar me - September 28, 2003 - 6:45 PM -

mmmm NPR - BBC makes it hard for me to get out of bed in the morning, or to go to sleep at night. Well, except the "football" scores that is.

gravatar Erica - September 29, 2003 - 2:28 AM -

Oooh, I loves me some NPR. Last summer when I was spending an average of 5 hrs/day in the car, it was a great comfort to know that no matter where in the country I was, All Things Considered was probably gonna be on at 2:00 and Talk of the Nation would follow. When I started listening to NPR is about when I started paying attention to news beyond the local blather (even though I loves me some Carmen Harlan and Devin Scillian).

gravatar richard - September 29, 2003 - 3:20 PM -

I'm a weekend NPR'r.
Car Talk / Wait Wait Don't Tell Me

I don't usually hear "This American Life" but I do think that Sarah Vowell has a marvelous sense of humor.