Previous entry:
« 'I'm typing Bs!'

New Mac city

Further frustrations: Where's the Delete key? Where's the End key? WHERE IS MY RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON?

So... Macs are superfun.

I can drink tea with milk at work and I did manage to be slightly productive today, so all in all, I'm pretty content here at the new place of employment. I made progress and learned how to do some things Mac-wise, even though I kept clicking the imaginary right mouse button and de-selecting my text.

I am a piratical maid-of-all-work, but hopefully later this week I will be removing the Webmaster Beanie* for a while, putting on my Librarian Hat* and tackling the bookshelves, all the while hoping that people won't come into the center and expect me to put on my Peer Advisor Sombrero*.

–––––
*Note: the headgear mentioned in this post does not actually exist outside of my imagination. But wouldn't it be great if it did?

srah - Monday, 15 September 2003 - 6:15 PM
Tags: ,

gravatar alfie - September 15, 2003 - 8:04 PM -

Did you IM me under a new screen name, or have some new people been finding out my screen name?

gravatar cristina - September 16, 2003 - 2:31 AM -

simply put, macs rule. you'll find out soon enough :)

gravatar srah - September 16, 2003 - 2:46 AM -

What is this magic that Macs have? What can they do that PCs can't? WHY should I love them so?

gravatar Mr. Hibbity Gibbity - September 16, 2003 - 7:02 AM -

They're more stable, with fewer hiccups, they have sleaker programs, the new ones currently have a 64 bit processor, and quite frankly, unless you're willing to shell out 10 grand or more on a graphics workstation or avid editing system, they're an excellent 'pro-sumer' machine that can handle both digital editing and graphics work.

gravatar srah - September 16, 2003 - 7:07 AM -

Sure, they're better with graphics, but I don't do that much with graphics. Certainly not enough to justify annoying myself by changing operating systems. If they don't do anything better than PCs, or do anything that you can't do on a PC, I'd never be tempted to switch.

gravatar Mr. Hibbity Gibbity - September 16, 2003 - 8:27 AM -

Well . . . I suppose that would be an interesting sociological test . . . take a person who's never used a computer before and see which OS they prefer, thereby indicating the more user friendly one.

Hmmmmm.

gravatar Mr. Hibbity Gibbity - September 16, 2003 - 8:28 AM -

Oh, but yeah, that lack of a second mouse button is a real kicker . . . you can't even play games right!

How am I supposed to jump without a second mouse button!?!?

gravatar katie - September 16, 2003 - 8:59 AM -

My mother was "a person who's never used a computer before". Then one day she asked me to show her how to use our computer at home (a Windows machine). Not long after, she got a job that required her to use a Mac all day long.

Months go by. One day she looks at me and says, "I know I don't know a lot about computers, but I'll tell you one thing: Macs are really stupid. On our PC, everything just makes so much more sense!

So...there.

As for graphics, I hear all this stuff about how Macs are sooooo much better with graphics, but frankly, I really don't perceive a difference. And when you consider that most of those graphics (the web variety, at any rate) are being viewed on Windows machines anyway, the point becomes quite moot.

gravatar Mr. Hibbity Gibbity - September 16, 2003 - 9:18 AM -

Right . . . and that would be why . . . Pixar just converted its entire studio over to . . . *gasp* Mac workstations!

gravatar katie - September 16, 2003 - 11:37 AM -

Hey, don't blame me for their senseless business decisions.

And I said web graphics.

gravatar Mr. Hibbity Gibbity - September 16, 2003 - 11:47 AM -

Uh huh . . . point for me.

gravatar srah - September 16, 2003 - 1:27 PM -

I read that as a command. I pointed and pointed and nothing happened.

DUH!

gravatar katie - September 16, 2003 - 2:00 PM -

It's because you're using a Mac. If you had pointed using Windows, it would have worked.

gravatar Mr. Hibbity Gibbity - September 16, 2003 - 2:13 PM -

I'd write something scathing in reply, but unfortunately I've just had the BLUE WINDOW OF DEATH popup on my screen . . . ah . . . 'lovely' windows . . .

Bahumbug!