Next entry:
Whodunnit? »

There was no question about places where waitresses call you 'hon'

According to findyourspot.com, my top ten ideal hometowns are:

1. Charleston, WV
  2. Frederick, MD
  3. Annapolis, MD
  4. St George, UT
  5. Hickory, NC
  6. Champaign-Urbana, IL
  7. Gaithersburg, MD
  8. Baltimore, MD
  9. Hampton, VA
  10. Raleigh, NC

I don't know how I feel about these results. It's hard to find somewhere in the Midwest that doesn't get snow dumped on it every November or so.

[via coleman.francis.land]

srah - Sunday, 17 August 2003 - 12:47 PM
Tags: , ,

gravatar Matt - August 17, 2003 - 5:21 PM -

That site gave me two towns in Alaska (Seward and Ketchikan) as my top two "spots". I mean, I know I included the northwest in my possibilities, but... come on.

See it here!

gravatar alfie - August 17, 2003 - 8:38 PM -

Apparently you really want to live in Maryland.

gravatar Jez - August 18, 2003 - 4:22 AM -

All my places are in Oregon, Massachussetts, Connecticut and...Burlington, Vermont. Which would make me a neighbour of Katie. No Michigan places among my ideal hometowns. Is that good or bad?

gravatar srah - August 18, 2003 - 6:56 AM -

I didn't have any Michigan either. I think you have to check "yes" on the box that says "Would you like to live in a place with mosquitoes the size of your head?"

gravatar alfie - August 18, 2003 - 9:00 AM -

1. Hartford, CT (The Insurance Capital, apparently)
2. Providence, RI
3. Milwaukee, WI (The Genuine American City, as opposed to all of the other ones that are fake)
4. New Haven, CT (Home of Yale)
5. Boston, MA (America's Walking City. If it doesn't like you will it become America's Running City to get away from you?)
6. Worcester, MA
7. Oshkosh/Appleton/Neenah, WI (Overalls, here I come!)
8. Baltimore, MD
9. Chicago, IL
10. Madison, WI (Athens of the Midwest, okay, whatever)

Detroit is towards the bottom of page 3. Cleveland and Columbus, OH are 11 and 12 on the list.

gravatar alfie - August 18, 2003 - 9:03 AM -

Our lovely city is described as being on the banks of the lovely Huron River, what a joke. If you fall into that "lovely" body of water, you'll probably mutate.

gravatar srah - August 18, 2003 - 9:10 AM -

I want to live in Neenah. Neenah Neenah Neenah.

gravatar katie - August 18, 2003 - 2:53 PM -

AAAAAAARGG!!!!! THIS QUIZ PISSES ME OFF!!! How many times do I have to explain to the world the Eastern Orthodox Christian does NOT equal Greek?!?!?!?!?!?! The only Orthodox choice given under religion is Greek Orthodox. They don't even list the Orthodox Church in America! Or at very least Russian Orthodox, the ethnicity which first planted Orthodox roots on this continent.

I think I'm going to explode. BOOM!

(For those who wonder, this is a MAJOR beef of mine...)

gravatar srah - August 18, 2003 - 4:57 PM -

I'm sorry, Angry Katie.

gravatar denzylle - August 18, 2003 - 8:05 PM -

'I'm not dead. I'm just in Cleveland.'

Anyone who can name the movie gets a prize...

Re the 'hon'...

The UK has banned (yet again, in another city, it's spreading) the use of the terms 'love' and 'dear' as patronising.

I dunno about you but I can take these sometimes and not others. I have to go to the dentist tomorrow and I'm so shit-scared that anyone calling me 'love' or 'dear' will get a big hug, but normally, do I mind?

It depends on the context and the manner it's said. Supermarkets, it's OK if it's not said in a patronising manner. Libraries or work or other 'professional' encounters, I wouldn;t expect to be called 'love' or 'dear'.

Also, it's regional. 'Love' is much more prominent in the North of England (and 'hen' in Scotland) and, somehow, less patronising than the 'dear' that's used more universally across the UK.

gravatar alfie - August 18, 2003 - 8:45 PM -

That quote is familiar but all I can think of is the book "The Stupids Die." According to some of the comments, this book is censored because of the use of the word stupid.

gravatar srah - August 18, 2003 - 9:29 PM -

I actually read about that just before writing this post. I hate "hon" but I don't usually mind "love" or "dear". I think it's the accent.

And I'm with Becky on The Stupids Die.

gravatar katie - August 19, 2003 - 10:38 AM -

It reminds me of the quote from The Adventures of Tom Sawyer that goes something like "We ain't dead. We's just off bein' pirates."