Marking your territory

Have you ever been friend-infatuated with anyone? Have you ever met someone and been so attracted to them upon first meeting them that you want to declare YOU WILL BE MY FRIEND and mark them with a Post-it® so that everyone knows that this is your potential friend-to-be and so that you won't lose them later?

Uh... me neither.

srah - Friday, 29 August 2003 - 2:10 PM
Tags: ,

gravatar S-Train - August 29, 2003 - 3:00 PM -

I have... *sniff* Don't tell anyone!

gravatar Erica - August 29, 2003 - 3:28 PM -

Me, too.

gravatar katie - August 29, 2003 - 3:41 PM -

I have. It's worse when you vow to make them your friend, whether they like it or not.

gravatar srah - August 29, 2003 - 4:07 PM -

In order to get the things I want, it helps me to pretend I'm a figure in a daytime drama, a schemer. Soap opera characters make emphatic pronouncements. They ball up their fists and state their goals out loud. "I will destroy Buchanan Enterprises," they say. "Phoebe Wallingford will pay for what she's done to our family." Walking home with the back half of the twelve-foot ladder, I turned to look in the direction of Hugh's loft. "You will be mine," I commanded.
- David Sedaris, Me Talk Pretty One Day

That pretty much sums it up.

gravatar denzylle - August 29, 2003 - 6:23 PM -

Well, when you do...

...you know what cats do to mark their territory...

That'd make you instantly and infinitely memorable.

gravatar richard - August 29, 2003 - 6:26 PM -

what about "visitor-infatuated"

We had a girl stop by our church on Wednesday. that was new to the neighboorhood. She was quiet, but friendly, spoke to most everyone there, she even helped out with moving some tables & chairs after service, she wasn't threatened by our small church atmosphere. But even before knowing all this, she had this "presence" (I cant't spell that french phrase that roughly translated means "I don't know" - pnonetically it's: Jze-nis-ee-kwaa(now don't all you french laureates laugh at me)) anyway she had it.
I even said to our youth pastor, "I want to keep her" And I only meant it it the purest sense. Saying that she fits in with our group quite well.
We may never see her again, she was just a visitor, but I will feel a sense of loss if she doesn't stop by in the future.

gravatar srah - August 29, 2003 - 6:40 PM -

Well, yes, we want to keep you too, HR.

The phrase is "je ne sais quoi". :)

gravatar richard - August 29, 2003 - 9:57 PM -

and what DOES it mean, "What is it?" ?

gravatar srah - August 30, 2003 - 12:44 AM -

"I don't know what". That certain untangible element that makes things what they are.

gravatar Matt - August 30, 2003 - 10:54 AM -

Reminds me of one of my favorite (yet missed, by most) lines from Fawlty Towers:

Fawlty: He just has that certain... oh, I don't know what...

Major: Je ne sais quoi?

Fawlty: Precisely.

gravatar Andy - August 30, 2003 - 5:50 PM -

I can relate to so bad! So embarassing!

gravatar Mer - August 31, 2003 - 11:13 AM -

Yeah... that's happened to me several times.

The friend thing. I've known about "je ne sais quoi" since I was 12 or something.

gravatar The Cat Whisperer (Christien Lomax) - September 2, 2003 - 2:48 PM -

I licked a girl once to make here my friend. It worked too... That and biting.. I used to do that once in a blue moon. Funny enough THAT also worked.. huh..