Previous entry:
« Intro to SI

Hello again, hello

Our Intro to SI Computing workshop is having a ten-minute break. I should probably be human-interacting, but am instead computer-interacting. Would any humans like to interact with my computer?

I am not going to have any friends. Approach me... IF YOU DARE!

srah - Monday, 25 August 2003 - 10:29 AM

gravatar patricia - August 25, 2003 - 10:42 AM -

i'm not allowing my computer to play with your computer. not while you're in intro to SI. i hated that class. of course, when i took it they were teaching vax fortran so there you go. if you're lucky enough to not have a clue what that is, count your blessings.

gravatar katie - August 25, 2003 - 1:30 PM -

Ok, I can't hold it in anymore... What the heck is this degree for??? Are you going to be a programmer? A designer? Will you be doing sociological studies of how humans use computers to augment their daily lives? Is this degree just an excuse to play games and blog and call it graduate education?

But seriously, what's it for?

gravatar srah - August 25, 2003 - 2:49 PM -

Good question. Haven't the foggiest. I think it explores ways information can best be presented to users - in book form (librarians), computer form (human-computer interactors), manuscript/document form (archivists), or... something else form by the IEMP folks. That's the impression I get, anyway. Who knows? I just want to make websites. Or be a pirate.

gravatar katie - August 25, 2003 - 3:20 PM -

I find it interesting that you have committed yourself to a graduate program of study that you don't completely understand the outcome of. (I tried really hard to write that sentence without a dangling participle, but I failed miserably.)

gravatar srah - August 25, 2003 - 9:47 PM -

It prepares people for a variety of careers in the information fields. I think I want to make websites. For now.

gravatar Amy - August 26, 2003 - 11:56 AM -

Of course you'll make websites - but you'll make them with an understanding of how people WANT to use them and what will make them like your web sites and come back over and over allowing you to boost your advertising rates and make lots and lots of money. Understanding how the mind associates the buttons with the information users will get when they mouse over and click them and what will happen if you trick them and make a pop-up appear instead and how much someone will pay you for this privilege - what fun awaits you at SI!!