Previous entry:
« Rhetorical Butler

185 or so to go

On one of the temporary dividing walls, the Reference staff have been making lists of the countries they've been to. My list, paltry in comparison to almost everyone else's, is:

1. USA
  2. England
  3. Canada
  4. France
  5. Belgium
  6. Switzerland
  7. Scotland
  8. Chile
  9. (and if you count airports)
  10. The Netherlands
  11. Germany

I tried to say that I'd been to the Kingdom of Fife (I can't remember if I actually have, now - where is that in relation to Edinburgh?) and Auvergne (Ici finit la France; ici commence l'Auvergne), but my mummy says that's cheating.

In an attempt to bolster my list, I've decided that I have to do a SI summer internship next year in Iceland. If I have to do a summer internship, why not visit another country why I'm at it? At least in Iceland I'll be safe from terrorists.

srah - Wednesday, 20 August 2003 - 2:00 PM

gravatar Kyle - August 20, 2003 - 5:14 PM -

My huge list would be:

Canada
USA
Mexico
Belize
Guatamala

I was only in Guatamala for a day, too.

gravatar Jez - August 20, 2003 - 6:49 PM -

Finland
Germany
Poland
Italy
Switzerland
Denmark

I've never been to Wales, despite living 20 miles from the Welsh border for four years.

gravatar katie - August 20, 2003 - 10:26 PM -

Europeans have it so much easier - they have better access. I think you Euros should have to list the US states and/or Canadian territories you've visited. As for me:

US
Canada
England
France
Italy (is Capri part of Italy, or its own country?)
Monocco (sp?)
Germany
(asleep, on a train) Austria

gravatar alfie - August 20, 2003 - 10:31 PM -

Monaco. You've been there too? Cool.
Here's mine:

US
Canada
France
England
Monaco

Someone was teasing me this morning because I went to France twice before I ever went to Chicago. France = 3000 or so miles
Chicago = not nearly as far

gravatar richard - August 20, 2003 - 11:08 PM -

I've got you all Un-beat

USA
Canada
Mexico

And if you count that time in the UN building in NYC, the greater part of which is "international soil" then I was [nowhere] too.
This was during the O.J.Simpson trial. I actually tell perole that I was out of the country when the verdict was announced.

gravatar srah - August 20, 2003 - 11:18 PM -

Perole? As in your perole officer?

Actually, if you were out of the country, it's probably best not to share that with your parole officer.

gravatar Matt S. - August 21, 2003 - 12:09 AM -

Fife is just a tad northeast of Edinburgh...

1 - USA
2 - Scotland
3 - England
4 - Denmark
5 - Sweden
6 - Norway

gravatar Jez - August 21, 2003 - 6:15 AM -

Katie, I can't list US States and Canadian territories I've visited. I've never been out of Europe.

gravatar alfie - August 21, 2003 - 6:47 AM -

Did you mean people?

gravatar katie - August 21, 2003 - 8:15 AM -

I think he meant pay-ro-lay, a distant cousin of peyote. In other words, he talks to his drugs.

I've never been to Chicago.

I want to go to Scotland and Greece.

gravatar richard - August 21, 2003 - 8:20 AM -

I think he meant people.
Yes, I'm sure of it.

gravatar srah - August 21, 2003 - 8:34 AM -

I've only been to Chicago once, which is pretty sad, geographically.

gravatar katie - August 21, 2003 - 12:57 PM -

I find you to be sad, regardless.

gravatar Denzylle - August 21, 2003 - 3:09 PM -

If you went by rail or road from Edinburgh to Aberdeen, you would have travelled thru' Fife, but I think you flew to Aberdeen, didn't you? Fife is just across the Forth Road (and Rail) Bridges.

Here's my wee list:
England
Scotland
Wales
Eire (but not Northern Ireland)
France
Belgium
Netherlands
Germany
What was East Germany but only after the Wall came down
Switzerland
Italy
Monaco (popular wee place, innit?)
(I've probably been thru' Luxembourg and / or Liechtenstein and missed 'em)
Lithuania (the one I'm most proud to say)
Australia
New Zealand
USA
Canada
(And counting airport stops - Fiji and Hawaii. I know the latter ain't a separate country but, if you're counting the four parts of the UK as four, I can count Hawaii)
And I've been to Chicago three times, in March, June and November, and loved it in every season.

gravatar srah - August 21, 2003 - 3:13 PM -

Damn.

gravatar srah - August 21, 2003 - 6:08 PM -

Nope, we took the train from London to Aberdeen and changed trains in Edinburgh on the way, so I must have passed through, if not stopped. We didn't go there when we were in Edinburgh, though, right? I get Fife and Leith mixed up, but I think we went to Leith.

gravatar Josh Crockett - August 21, 2003 - 8:24 PM -

Logically, shouldn't U.S./Canadian citizens be allowed to count states and provinces instead of Europeans? I mean, letting Euros count each one separately when they come over just lets them further run up the score on us poor ill-traveled North Americans.

For me, 4 countries: US, UK, France, and Canada. If you count England and Scotland separately, 5 (and I'd then say Quebec instead of Canada, since QC and the Anglo parts of Canada should definitely count separately under that kind of guideline). On this continent, 27 states and one Canadian province (as aforementioned).

gravatar denzylle - August 22, 2003 - 5:54 AM -

Yeh, we went to Leith. That's just up the street, still in Edinburgh. If we'd gone to Fife, you'd have known 'cos we'd have crossed one of those magnificent bridges and the Firth of Forth.

If we're counting ancient kingdoms of yore, I'd have to add Kernow / Kernouaille / Cornwall.

gravatar srah - August 22, 2003 - 7:00 AM -

As if you need it!

gravatar Stephen - August 25, 2003 - 12:24 AM -

Canada (and Qubec considering that they want to be their own country, and have tried to separate numerous times)
US
Mexico
France
Monaco
Italy
Austria
Hungary
Germany
Switzerland
But I'm hoping to visit many more this upcoming year :)