Previous entry:
« Learning is fun!

Blog-ethics... blethics?

Is it wrong to go back and change things in your blog because you found a funnier way of putting something?

(Note: This is a rhetorical question. I don't actually care if it is or isn't right.)

srah - Monday, 28 July 2003 - 12:01 PM

gravatar jamelah - July 28, 2003 - 12:12 PM -

no. because it's all about the funny.

or, conversely, yes. because... because.

gravatar richard - July 28, 2003 - 12:14 PM -

Here's my rule of thumb, from a non-blogger. I think, if nobody has posted a reply. The post is still owned by you, and you can change it. but once someone has thrown their two cents in, then you must leave it as is. Your turn is over.

gravatar richard - July 28, 2003 - 12:16 PM -

sure, why not?
Haven't we all mourned that loss of a moment in which we 'should have said...'

you've got a product here, why not make it the best you could produce.

on the other hand, if you're going for a pure stream of consciousness. You should add a comment saying, "I should have said..."

on the other hand, what the heck do I know about it anyway?

gravatar srah - July 28, 2003 - 12:23 PM -

That's generally my rule, too, and I wouldn't have mentioned it if it were that. If no one's commented, I always tell myself that's because no one's read it and it's safe to edit (that rhymes). But I broke the rule and felt guilty and felt I had to acknowledge it, although I won't tell you which post it is if you don't already know because it isn't that much funnier.

gravatar Cheryl - July 28, 2003 - 12:35 PM -

I'd add a P.S.

gravatar richard - July 28, 2003 - 1:13 PM -

I found the change. It was fun, kind of like looking in the hightlights magazine for what's different in the pictures.
However, it seems just as funny to me either way.

gravatar srah - July 28, 2003 - 1:15 PM -

What's important... is that it's funnier to me. :)

gravatar katie - July 28, 2003 - 1:30 PM -

I think I follow Richard's rule too. Although, if I see a typo or spelling error, I will go back and fix it regardless of comments. I mean, seriously.

I tend to add PSs. And everything I post is funny, so why should I edit? Instead, new post!

gravatar srah - July 28, 2003 - 1:33 PM -

My problem was that it was a change rather than an addition. Really, I only switched two words around, and according to Richard, it didn't make it any funnier, so it probably would have gone unnoticed.

gravatar katie - July 28, 2003 - 1:33 PM -

Tee hee, I found it too.

When transferring my stuff over to MT from GM, I confess to editing. But of a sick sort. Certain posts that I didn't like, I didn't transfer. Certain comments that I didn't like, or from people I didn't want to hear from, I didn't transfer. Bad Katie.

Also, I fixed commenting errors. Such as when someone would spell something wrong and then type another comment just to correct their own spelling error. I fixed those and deleted the second one, unless there was other meaningful content, in which case I left it.

Also, sometimes people (ahem, YOU) post comments for one post in the comment box of another post. Unless the ensuing hilarity was, um, hilarious, I fixed that too.

Wow, long comment. Should have posted chez moi.

gravatar srah - July 28, 2003 - 1:34 PM -

I bet I did. I seem to remember it wasn't clear which comment link went with which post. Your fault!!!!!!!

gravatar Jez - July 28, 2003 - 1:58 PM -

I think that as it's your own site, you can change whatever you want, whenever you want.

I would like to see the possibility of editing comments I put on people's sites, so that I can correct embarassing typos and fill in gaps where I've been typing too fast and missed out crucial words, making me look like a retard.

gravatar Erica - July 28, 2003 - 1:59 PM -

I say do whatever the furk you want. You could make a whole new post out of it. "I know I said this before, but I just wanted to let everyone know that this is what I should have said." I kinda like the edit-until-commented rule.

gravatar eston - July 28, 2003 - 3:35 PM -

In my case, I just leave it. Hell, I even leave typographical errors in my entries. I think of my blog entries more as expressions of thought rather than essays.

Editing = insecurity.

gravatar Raspil - July 28, 2003 - 7:48 PM -

Do what you want to do. How will anyone know you went back and edited something unless you mention it? Who cares? It's just a blog, it's not the Bill of Rights. Editing = insecurity? That's a laugh.

gravatar katie - July 28, 2003 - 9:02 PM -

Is NOT my fault. Comment link at bottom right of post. Always has been, always will be. You must have had a brain lapse or something...

Editing = insecurity? HA! Blogging = insecurity.

gravatar srah - July 28, 2003 - 10:55 PM -

I must be thinking of someone else then. Or maybe I'm crazy. That's probably the most likely.

gravatar katie - July 29, 2003 - 8:10 AM -

Yes, you're crazy. We all knew that.

And insecure, too. ;)