Whoop-de-doo

Well, folks, here's my mess. It's done enough for now - just don't go into the monthly archives at all because they're a mess. Someday I will get that sorted out and bring my comments over from the old system. For now, I will have to live in the present and I will have to ask you to do the same. Welcome welcome welcome and if it looks like crap in your browser, please tell me why because I suck at CSS. While you're at it, you can tell me why the Recently Updated asterisks in my BlogRoll want to live on a separate line and why BlogSnob wants to be ginormous. I can't figure them out and I'm giving up and going to sleep. Night night.

srah - Monday, 2 June 2003 - 1:01 AM

gravatar srah - June 2, 2003 - 3:07 AM -

Hooray. I figured out the BlogSnob thing. And I am the first person commenting on my blog because I am a loser.

gravatar Jez - June 2, 2003 - 4:12 AM -

And I am the second to plant his size 11 footprints onto your blog comments. MT is a big hassle to install, but now you've done it buggy Blogger will no longer bother you (alliteration!).

Just a couple of things. The right hand column is cutting off the first half of the text in it.

Like when I installed MT, the text in the comments box is hidden until you highlight it. Apparently, this is an IE6 bug. There's quite a few threads on this in the MT forums. If I remember rightly, I solved it by deleting the comments template and then reloading it. I have no idea why this worked - it just did.

I haven't bothered with trackbacks on my blog. Do you think they're useful?

With the Blogrolling thing, make sure you're using the prepend/append option in the "Preferences" section, not the link entry section. If it's not that, perhaps you need to widen the column a teeny bit.

Well done on using the excellent word 'ginormous'. I haven't seen that word for years.

gravatar srah - June 2, 2003 - 8:36 AM -

Drat. It works in the two browsers I've tried so far. I'll look into what I can do with the right column and the comments. I already fooled with the right column quite a bit last night, but apparently it needs more foolin'.

I have no idea what TrackBacks do, so I decided to put them in until I figure it out.

gravatar katie - June 2, 2003 - 9:04 AM -

I am seeing the same cut-off right-side column. :( I'm not sure how to fix it. Could it be that you are viewing the site with a monitor that's wider than mine? So that it all fits, but it doesn't on mine? I can tell that if all three of your columns were the width they were trying to be, it would be wider than my screen.

Anyway, kudos. I'm mucho impressionato. Does this mean you'll no longer be guesting?

gravatar katie - June 2, 2003 - 9:08 AM -

Also, I must make a request because I am picky and selfish. How about making links open up in new windows? That way, I won't have to either remember to right-click and select "Open in New Window" or go Back-Back-Back-Back-Back to continue reading your blog.

Personal preference, I suppose. Some people think opening-in-new-windows is evil.

gravatar srah - June 2, 2003 - 9:11 AM -

Too bad for you - I am one of them. :)

gravatar katie - June 2, 2003 - 10:53 AM -

Heh heh.

gravatar Cheryl - June 2, 2003 - 12:08 PM -

Firstly, the photo of yourself which you have selected for the top of your page scares me quite a bit. Secondly, me too, with the right column thing. Thirdly, and this is meant constructively (is that an adverb? :)), it's pretty slow loading when going back, like when clicking on photos. I do like the not opening in new windows, too, though, even if there are times I forget. Fourthly, at the copa cabana, they fell in love.

gravatar Cheryl - June 2, 2003 - 12:09 PM -

Ooo, but I do like that the posts go down now instead of up.

gravatar Cheryl - June 2, 2003 - 12:10 PM -

Ooo, but I do like that the blah blah comments go down now instead of up.

gravatar srah - June 2, 2003 - 12:37 PM -

1) The filename is srahevil.jpg. I am watching you!!!!

2) Yargh. What is your browser, please?

3) I'm not sure if that's because of the new design or because of all of the pictures on the main page. If it's still a problem when they disappear, I will address it.

4) His name was Rico.

gravatar Jez - June 2, 2003 - 1:15 PM -

Yup, the right-hand column persists even my home computer using IE6.

gravatar alfie - June 2, 2003 - 1:16 PM -

I agree with Cheryl. That picture is creepy and evil looking.

gravatar katie - June 2, 2003 - 1:55 PM -

Yes, the picture is evil and creepy looking, but speaking as someone who has never met you in person, I prefer to think of you who is someone that is evil and creepy. It gives you mystique.

(And I second the comments-going-down kudo. Is there such thing as a singular for kudos?)

gravatar srah - June 2, 2003 - 1:59 PM -

I prefer to think of myself as someone who is evil and creepy too. Strangely, the people around me seem to disagree.

Heh heh. I have mystique. That explains why I'm blue and scaly.

gravatar alfie - June 2, 2003 - 2:28 PM -

I've known you for about nineteen years and I have never thought of you as anything other than evil and creepy.