The Monday Mission

1.What is the difference between spirituality and religion?
I'm sure people have differing definitions, but I think that to be a religion, a belief has to involve a god or gods and often deals with the issue of faith in the unknown. I think one can be spiritual by believing deeply in a philosophy, with or without believing in a god.

2. What is the difference between someone listening to what you say and hearing what you say?
Listening involves a conscious effort to understand.

3. What's the difference between a Father, and a Daddy?
Daddy belongs to me, and fathers belong to other people.

4. What's the difference between being married and living together?
I think being married is a bigger commitment, because you're more responsible for one another, being linked under the law.

5. What's the difference between growing up and growing old?
I am doing the latter and trying to resist the former. Growing old is aging, growing up is maturing. The two aren't as linked as people would like to think. Growing old can bring you experience that makes you more mature, but doesn't necessarily. And you don't necessarily have to be old to be mature.

6. What's the difference between getting what you want and getting what you need?
Getting what you need is subsisting. Getting what you want is anything beyond that. Maybe I don't understand the question.

7. What's the difference between punishment and discipline?
Discipline doesn't have to involve punishment, but does involve a strong will. I don't know!

8. What's the difference between the Monday Mission and any other meme?
The Monday Mission is usually way longer.

srah - Monday, 23 June 2003 - 10:39 AM
Tags: ,

gravatar mday - June 23, 2003 - 11:38 AM -

Interesting topic. I would say that spirituality is an individual's belief in something larger than this world/universe whether it is housed in your soul or elsewhere. It is your personal relationship with this belief. I also think it is something that you strive for or put your faith in.

Religion implies organization by man. Religion is also a distinct set of beliefs or rules laid out to be followed. A devout religious person sticks to the rules of their particular religion.

I would count myself as a spiritual but not a religious person. I have a deep personal relationship with my God and my beliefs. When I think of a religious person, I think of a person who has a deep belief in the religion itself, but not necessarily what is behind that religion.

Not a comprehensive statement on my part, but just my $.02 . Thanks for the good topic srah.

gravatar jday - June 23, 2003 - 11:53 AM -

That's my pookie! I agree with him, too- our church says that they don't want us to have religion (i.e. doctrine, rules and regulations), but rather a relationship with God. A pretty novel concept for most churches (which tend to be lumped into the "religious" category). I would certainly hope I am spiritual, but I know I have a tendency to get bogged down in the religious mindset. Is this too deep for a Monday morning?

gravatar jday - June 23, 2003 - 11:55 AM -

P.S. It's working... the plot to embroil another Day in the shenanigans and daily mishaps of dear srah thickens.

gravatar srah - June 23, 2003 - 1:23 PM -

Myself, I would differentiate between spirituality, religion, and organized religion.

gravatar mday - June 23, 2003 - 1:34 PM -

I would like to hear about your differentiation srah. I tend to think of religion and organized religion as the same thing, but I could be persuaded otherwise.

gravatar srah - June 23, 2003 - 4:58 PM -

To me, spirituality is very general, a religion involves a god or gods, and organized religion involves rules and buildings and priests and suchlike.

Notice how I have mday under my spell? Taking over the Days, one at a time.

gravatar jday - June 23, 2003 - 5:11 PM -

Today twoDays, tomorrow the world!