The Friday Five

1. How are you planning to spend the summer [winter]?
Working to make money for grad school. Drinking wine and going to Meijers. Thinking about writing - but not actually writing - a romance novel.

2. What was your first summer job?
During high school, I worked at the public library during vacations, but I also worked there during the school year, so it wasn't really a "summer job". My first one of those was at the evil evil Hallmark shop at the mall. I asked for 35 hours a week and often got anywhere from 0 to 5. In order to actually have money and something to do, I had to take a second job. Here. And I've been here ever since.

3. If you could go anywhere this summer [winter], where would you go?
México, DF, para visitar a mi pololo querido.

4. What was your worst vacation ever?
I don't think vacations are ever bad. We tended to get sick of each other and Myrtle Beach when we would be stuck in the car together driving down there and back up every spring, but I wouldn't say it was bad. We even learned history, even if I didn't appreciate, at the time, stopping at every historical landmark between Michigan and South Carolina.

5. What was your best vacation ever?
I love vacations. Each one has merits and drawbacks. We'll say Summer 2001 in France and England, just because I haven't met John Hannah on any of my other vay-kays.

srah - Friday, 27 June 2003 - 8:39 AM
Tags: ,

gravatar katie - June 27, 2003 - 9:44 AM -

Didn't appreciate history?!?!?!?!?!?!

We had a family reunion in Myrtle Beach once. It was ok, although I thought it was all old, broken down resort-y. I think it might have been swingin' in the 70's.

gravatar srah - June 27, 2003 - 9:52 AM -

Didn't at the time. What 13-year-old wants to go to Mount Vernon?

gravatar katie - June 27, 2003 - 10:46 AM -

Um... I wanted to.

But then, it takes a special breed to produce a historian. ;)

gravatar srah - June 27, 2003 - 10:49 AM -

Dude. For real.

gravatar mday - June 27, 2003 - 11:18 AM -

You go to multiple Meijer stores for the Summer[Winter]?

mday's pet peeve #5: It is Meijer, not Meijers. Unless of course you are talking about multiple Meijer stores.

gravatar srah - June 27, 2003 - 11:47 AM -

Where the hell are you from? Here in Michigan (or specifically in Ann Arbor?), we shop at Meijer's and Kroger's. That's one of my Bad English Addictions that I refuse to correct.

Actually, my problem was that I left out the all-important apostrophe, which makes it short for Meijer's Thrifty Acres, the original full name.

gravatar jday - June 27, 2003 - 12:12 PM -

What are the pet peeves 3s 1-4? Can I guess?

gravatar Justin - June 27, 2003 - 1:50 PM -

I've been to Myrtle Beach too many times to really appreciate it anymore. Not that there's a whole lot to appreciated about it nowadays. Unless you're into t-shirt stores, head shops and body piercing.

Oh, and rednecks.

Yeah, I said it. I've lived in South Carolina for half my life, so I'm allowed to dog it.

In other SC-related news: Strom Thurmond finally died at the age of 968.

gravatar mday - June 27, 2003 - 1:54 PM -

On the Meijer subject...

Original, but no longer applicable. Actually, I used to call it Meijer's FIFTY Acres when I was young. Always wondered where those extra acres went. But now that the corporation has shed its "Thrifty Acres" name, when you refer to a single Meijer store you must call it Meijer. YOU MUST!!!!

gravatar mday - June 27, 2003 - 1:55 PM -

You can guess my other pet peeves. Go for it mrs. jday.

gravatar srah - June 27, 2003 - 1:57 PM -

I won't break down and call it whatever they tell me to. I'll fight the system! From the inside! Preferably near the ice cream freezer!

My grandparents moved to North Myrtle Beach when I was four or so, so we used to go down every Spring Break until we got too old to have matching Spring Break dates.

gravatar Erica - June 27, 2003 - 2:05 PM -

It's Meijer-with-no-s!

Can I just state that I hate Colonial Williamsburg? I really do. And I'm still laughing over crossainwich.

gravatar mday - June 27, 2003 - 3:01 PM -

Yeah, that croissanwich thing makes me laugh everytime I think about it. Its so right on many levels.

gravatar katie - June 27, 2003 - 4:55 PM -

My naming pet peeves:

1) Barnes and Noble. With no 's'. It is not Barnes and Nobles. There's absolutely no logical reason for the 's', yet people put it there.

2) The store is not called Pennies. It is JCPenney. Say it with me now!

Myrtle Beach always makes me think of Myrtle the Turtle, from that Dr. Suess book.

And finally, would someone tell me what the heck croissanwich we're talking about here?

gravatar srah - June 27, 2003 - 4:58 PM -

I think that's Yertle the Turtle. And I say Barnes & Noble, but JCPenney's.

gravatar srah - June 27, 2003 - 4:59 PM -

I think it's Burger King that has the croissanwich.

gravatar katie - June 27, 2003 - 5:33 PM -

Yertle, of course.

Well, his wife's name should be Myrtle then, so I don't feel quite so stupid. :)