Of all the things to be Queen of...

I think my menu choices in American restaurants are solely based on which menu item will taste the best re-heated. I never ever finish anything in restaurants. I am the Doggy Bag Queen. They give you way too much food, and we are trained to clean our plates and think of all the starving children in Ohio or wherever the hell children are starving today. No wonder Americans are so fat.

The thing I hate is that you can order a salad and it's this enormous monstrosity. There are no small portions of anything. I don't want just a salad. I want a small salad, a small soup, a small sandwich, and a French fry or two. I want a varied meal, but I don't like that ordering a varied meal will keep me in leftovers for the rest of the week.

srah - Wednesday, 18 June 2003 - 11:17 AM
Tags: ,

gravatar Jez - June 18, 2003 - 11:27 AM -

But think of the time you must save cooking! I am very jealous. However, I can never imagine asking for a doggy bag. I've never witnessed this happening over here. Is this a purely American thing?

gravatar srah - June 18, 2003 - 12:01 PM -

I think it might be. Usually the waitress comes around, looks at my plate, and says, "So... like, do you want a box or something?" What I hate is when they do that when clearly no one is done eating. I hate American restaurants in general.

gravatar Erica - June 18, 2003 - 2:32 PM -

This is only tangentially related but my mom brought home La Shish takeout yesterday and it was hella yummy.

gravatar srah - June 18, 2003 - 2:39 PM -

What/Where is La Shish? I don't know what it is, but I want some.

gravatar Erica - June 18, 2003 - 3:01 PM -

La Shish is only The Best Middle Eastern Restaurant Ever. The original location is in Dearborn, but they are all over the metro and I believe the furthest west spot is in Canton Township, maybe on Ford Rd at Canton Center.

gravatar srah - June 18, 2003 - 3:12 PM -

I want some food. Of some kind. Preferably with some flavor. But without will do fine, too.

gravatar alfie - June 19, 2003 - 11:59 AM -

"Why are they playing this music while we're trying to enjoy our Spanish food?"

gravatar Liz - December 12, 2005 - 10:59 AM -

La Shish is an awesome experience. You can order a small salad, bread, hummous and still have leftovers! The waitstaff at times has an attitude, but since I can swear in Arabic, I haven't had a problem with them!