When I grow up to be a man...

Friday, March 21

Big sleepy elephant seal pupsCari and I got up bright and early on Friday morning. Actually, only I got up bright and early, because - even though I was exhausted from my travel - I was still pretty much on Eastern time. That gave me some time to get myself organized before Cari and I left for our morning drive to Año Nuevo State Natural Reserve, where we went on a tour and learned about the elephant seals that come there every year to lay their eggs have their babies. Then the mothers go back out to sea to feed, and leave the babies to figure everything out for themselves. "Does this stick taste good? No, it doesn't. Are these berries poisonous? Yes they are. Can I swim? Oops, no, I can't. Blub blub blub." I learned a lot of good parenting tips from the elephant seals, I think: Kids'll pretty much figure things out on their own, and if they don't, you can always have another one next year.

We saw a lot of young seal pups laying around in the sand like slugs (to conserve energy) and occasionally emitting the CUUUUUUUUUUUTEST sneezes ever. One of the seals rolled over, looked at us, and waved his little flipper. We also saw a dead seal, which - although we had to leave rocks and pebbles and other things - the guide said we could take home with us if we wanted. I declined, because they did not have a large enough take-out container.

After the elephant seals, @cariberry and I went to Duarte's Tavern, where we met @agrude and @notliz for lunch. It was a big Twitter-fest. I had the artichoke soup, which was very delicious, and a hamburger, which was not very exotic, but hit the spot. In fact, with all the sourdough bread while waiting for our food (or as accompaniment to our soups) we were really stuffed, and spent the rest of the day walking it off!

We drove into San Francisco, where we walked along Pier 39 to see the sea lions fighting and playing:


Sourdough bread at the Boudin BakeryI decided I wanted to be a sea lion when I grew up. After watching them for a while, we walked around the Fisherman's Wharf area, then went on a tour of the Boudin Bakery, where we saw sourdough bread being made. I decided I wanted to be sourdough bread when I grew up. Then we headed toward North Beach, which was where we were having dinner. We passed an accordion player and I decided I wanted to be an accordionist when I grew up.

Lombard StreetWe sat in a little Italian café to rest our feet and wait for Cari's boyfriend, Matt, while having a cup of tea. Once Matt got there, we still had some time to kill before dinner, so the three of us walked up to Lombard Street, then up Lombard Street, and we watched the cars slowly creeping down the twisty street.

Cari and I were still pretty full from lunch and had to save room for dessert, so we shared the Linguine Vongole at Trattoria Contadina, which was lovely and delicious. Then we walked down to Ghirardelli Square for Ghirardelli chocolate sundaes, but stopped for an Irish coffee on the way at the place where Irish coffee was invented. I am not a coffee drinker, but this was somewhat drinkable.

Finally, we rolled ourselves home and went to bed so that we could rest up for our next adventurous day!

srah - Thursday, 3 April 2008 - 6:49 PM
Tags: , , , , ,

Comments (3)

gravatar Sylvie - April 7, 2008 - 10:12 AM -

You could take a dead seal home and you chose not to? Geez.

gravatar srah - April 8, 2008 - 11:47 PM -

I forgot to mention the part where we went to In-And-Out Burger in between meals just to smell the air and order a pop because we were too full to eat anything.

gravatar pistols at dawn - April 10, 2008 - 10:48 AM -

I would also like to be a sea lion when I grow up, because I would be really good at sitting around near water and doing nothing. They are the lazy hippies of the animal kingdom.

Blog Directory - Blogged