Dream

I dreamt that I lived in this neighborhood in Ann Arbor that doesn't really exist but has shown up in my dreams before in the past. I think it's based on Pittsfield Village, mixed with the neighborhood in Ypsilanti where my friend Shannon used to live. Anyway, my family was looking out the window when a ball of fire came out of the sky and set fire to a patch of our neighbors' lawn. People kept coming over and trying to stomp it out, then they'd catch fire themselves, then spread it to other parts of the lawn. We kept yelling at them to call the fire department instead of trying to put it out themselves, then yelling again to put it out before the fire department got there, because it was only going to grow. I think I must have lost interest, because I have no memory of what happened with the fire after that.

Then a great big golden retriever came wandering over to us while we were out in the yard. It was a really huggable dog. I loved the dog, although I don't remember it doing anything other than being really patient while I hugged it a lot. Apparently I needed to hug something. I wanted to keep it, but we decided we had to take it home. The dog told me, "That's okay, I'm not far from home." I don't know how he did that - I don't remember the dog talking, so it must have been some kind of telepathy. He had this GPS thing on his collar so I looked at it and it said he was only a few blocks from home. So the talking dog was right!

We found his house and walked right in with the dog. The couple was watching TV in a room in the back of the house. I hugged the dog some more in their hallway, then we got their attention. They thought we were weird for bringing the dog back, but apparently it frequently happened that people would find their dog wandering around and would return him into the house. So they just always had random strangers in their house. I turned on a TV in their entryway so that I could watch SNL or 30 Rock or something, but then we decided we should probably do that at home.

Goodbye, huggy dog!

srah - Friday, 7 December 2007 - 6:58 AM

gravatar Cheryl - December 7, 2007 - 8:12 AM -

Um, a talking dog?

gravatar srah - December 7, 2007 - 9:04 AM -

You got a problem with that?

gravatar Craig - December 7, 2007 - 9:37 AM -

"...and set fire to a patch of our neighbors' lawn. People kept coming over and trying to stomp it out, then they'd catch fire themselves, then spread it to other parts of the lawn. We kept yelling at them to call the fire department instead of trying to put it out themselves, then yelling again to put it out before the fire department got there, because it was only going to grow."

Do you ever play The Sims? That sounds very much like what happens when there is a fire in that game. People run around screaming about the fact that there is a fire, some try to put it out (usually walking into it while doing so) while others just panic. Either way, they end up on fire themselves and just make the fire spread.

I'm not sure if there is any deep meaning in this dream, but I do feel that I should share with you the advice Mr. McDowell gave to Akeem not long after he arrived in New York: "If you wanna keep working here, stay off the drugs."

gravatar srah - December 7, 2007 - 10:12 AM -

Maybe the deeper meaning is that I should start playing The Sims again.

gravatar jday - December 7, 2007 - 10:12 AM -

I don't remember you hugging my dogs... of course, they are significantly bigger than a Golden.

gravatar srah - December 7, 2007 - 10:15 AM -

I would not normally hug a strange dog, either. Particularly a big strange dog! I am moderately afraid of strange dogs!