A mezzanine seat to see the flickers

Every year, my mom, my sister and I go to see a movie on the Friday after Thanksgiving. When we first started this tradition, the theaters were almost deserted, but I think more and more people are taking advantage of the opportunity to get away from the Black Friday shopping insanity.

This year, our movie was Enchanted, where an animated Disney Princess accidentally finds herself in live-action form in New York City and has to deal with the problems of the non-fairy-tale world. Disney is a pretty safe Thanksgiving Friday choice for us, but after seeing Shrek 3 this morning, I wondered if Disney would be able to parody their own movies as well as Dreamworks has taken the Disney movies on. The approach is certainly more subtle than Dreamworks', but the final product was great. Here's a scene where, in proper Disney Princess style, Giselle invites all the "woodland creatures" of New York City to help her with the housework.

I expect most Disney movies to amuse me and make me smile, but this one actually made me laugh out loud, and at one point I was actually crying because I'd laughed so hard. So go see it!

srah - Friday, 23 November 2007 - 11:50 PM
Tags: , , ,

gravatar alfie - November 23, 2007 - 11:55 PM -

Newsies.

gravatar Elisabeth - November 24, 2007 - 12:08 AM -

I can't wait to see it. I was forced to see Dan in Real Life. Steve Carell did a great job in a mediocre movie.

gravatar srah - November 24, 2007 - 12:12 AM -

That was our second choice. Well now I'm especially glad we saw this one!

gravatar Aunt Pam - November 24, 2007 - 6:39 AM -

We did the same thing! It was great to see that scene again . . . I was especially fond of the one legged pigeon.

gravatar Jamie - November 24, 2007 - 1:23 PM -

I really want to see this! My boyfriend said he would take me, haha.

The boy and I started a tradition of going to the movies on Christmas day a few years ago. It's mainly families who tend to go but it's never very crowded. It's a really nice tradition I think!

gravatar tiff - November 24, 2007 - 5:40 PM -

we actually go on the morning of thanksgiving, you can see like 3 movies for the price of one (shhh don't tell anyone).
This year we saw August Rush (loved it, obviously), Enchanted (crazy movie! I felt like I was high, but I loved it) and This Christmas (typical).

Love movies!

gravatar courtney - November 24, 2007 - 6:42 PM -

My mom and I just saw Enchanted this afternoon! I've been singing "I've been dreaming..." ever since! ha!

I'd been anticipating seeing this movie for months, and it certainly didn't let me down.

gravatar bob - November 30, 2007 - 10:31 AM -

OK. now I HAVE to see this. Perhaps I'll take my parents to see this during Christmas break...or Sweeney Todd. :)