Next entry:
Walk the boat »

We're sailing with a cargo full of love and devotion

Hi! I have had about 8 hours of sleep in the last 48 hours! That actually sounds like a lot more than it feels. I have been really stressing out about this trip: packing, making my connections, adjusting to life on the ship, worrying about seasickness, etc... all while dealing with a lot of other stuff like finding a new apartment (done!) and keeping up with students while I'm out of the office and while the university changes email systems during my absence. So with all the things to worry about (and I love to worry!) I haven't been sleeping much. Then even when I can relax enough to sleep, there aren't enough hours in the day to get all the sleep that I need.

Now I am finally on the ship. I made all my connections, my luggage came with me, I have seasickness medication on hand, I have a glass of wine in me, I found out that I will have unlimited Internet access and the freedom to attend whichever meetings I please. I have a cabin to myself, three life jackets in my cabin (I could build a RAFT out of life jackets and sail away with my pineapple and my tennis racket), the ship is quiet because the students haven't arrived yet... I should be able to fall right asleep. But when I tried to take a nap, it wouldn't work. Why? Because I can't get "Rock the Boat" by Hues Corporation out of my head every time I close my eyes.

Pretty soon I think I will have to just pass out from exhaustion like a Sim and maybe that will reset my stupid stupid brain.

srah - Thursday, 14 June 2007 - 2:45 AM
Tags: , , ,

gravatar cp - June 14, 2007 - 10:56 PM -

Wait.....I'm horribly confused. You're on a boat, I gather. I feel like I got v.3 of season 4 of "Srah!" because volumes 1 and 2 were checked out already......

gravatar alfie - June 15, 2007 - 12:56 AM -

Was it the apartment?

gravatar tiff - June 15, 2007 - 10:18 AM -

saiiiling, takes me away....

yes I'm singing Christopher Cross! Take that, Rock the boat!

gravatar srah - June 15, 2007 - 2:10 PM -

I think you have to read all of my recent posts to get the full picture. I'm hesitant to post too much detail because I don't like to blog about work. But yes, I'm on a ship from 6/13 to 6/22.

It was the second apartment.

gravatar Aunt Pam - June 15, 2007 - 11:28 PM -

I had a great time when I took a cruise years ago and never once got seasick (as opposed to crossing the Irish Sea and getting violently ill). I do hope you have a wonderful time! You and your Uncle John are having such grand adventures, the rest of us Michigan-stick-in-the-mud really do need find our own. Until then I enjoy living vicariously through the both of you. Bon Voyage!

gravatar srah - June 16, 2007 - 4:52 PM -

Yeah, I haven't had any problems with seasickness yet! I took a Dramamine the first night, but that was because I was really anxious and stressed out about the travel and I wanted something that would make me drowsier than I already was.

gravatar Noor - June 16, 2007 - 11:32 PM -

somebody (apete perhaps) told me you'd be doing this! it sounds so exciting and glam!

oh, why don't you post photos of your new place?

gravatar srah - June 17, 2007 - 1:13 PM -

There will be pictures of everything, eventually. Unfortunately there is a lot of competition for bandwidth here on the sea.