Let us all take our pennyfarthing bicycles to the aero-port!

I am equidistant from the Cincinnati and Dayton airports, but I usually prefer flying out of Dayton.

Dayton Airport: ProsCincinnati Airport: Pros
  • flights are always cheaper than Cincinnati
  • you can walk from the parking lot to the airport rather than waiting for a shuttle
  • it's too small to get lost in
  • you can get some steps in walking from one end of the airport to another
  • shorter security/airline waits (usually)
  • smaller and cuter
  • free wireless internet
  • cheaper parking
  • more frequent flights
  • more airlines
  • more to do and see in the airport
  • more to do and see on the way to the airport
  • bigger and fancier (note: this is only true of the Delta terminal. If you are flying United or US Airways, Cincinnati is a hole.)
  • The Dayton airport is also cute in that it's obsessed with the history of flight. It seems to consider itself the home airport of the Wright Brothers. There are little old-fashioned planes on the carpet. And if you're flying from Dayton to Detroit on your way to Minneapolis, they will fly you out strapped to the wing of a Wright Brothers-era biplane!

Okay, I might be exaggerating a little. It may have just been a propeller plane. But I might as well have been strapped to the wing of a biplane. I hate propeller planes so much! And I was seated in row 2, which - for those of you who have the misfortune to fly on propeller planes - you will want to avoid. It is both right in front of the propeller AND is positioned in such a way that there is no window in that row. Row 2 was the cherry on top of the stink sandwich that is the propeller plane.

Fortunately on the way home I got a CRJ (the tiniest jet in Northwest's fleet) from Detroit to Dayton so all was well. Except that the airport smelled like a combination of mildew and B.O. when I returned. Someone clean that airport before I have to fly out again next week!

srah - Monday, 4 June 2007 - 12:39 PM
    Tags: , , , , , , , ,

gravatar tiff - June 4, 2007 - 2:00 PM -

I hope you weren't in the terrible non-MacNamara northwest terminal in Detroit. The other Smith Terminal, although being razed, needs to be condemned.

gravatar srah - June 4, 2007 - 2:17 PM -

No no, it was MacNamara. MacNamara is very nice. I helped a lady who was lost, even though I've always found it hard to get lost there.

gravatar Craig - June 4, 2007 - 2:40 PM -

Having flown in and out of both the Kalamazoo-Battle Creek "International" airport and the Champaign-Urbana airport multiple times, I don't feel sorry for you. (but that's probably because I'm just mean.)

gravatar srah - June 4, 2007 - 3:09 PM -

Hey hey, I'm not looking for sympathy! There are definitely worse choices out there than Dayton. State College, PA, I'm looking at you!

gravatar cp - June 4, 2007 - 6:54 PM -

Say! You'd be the cat's pajamas at that aero-port, see? I might just take the jalopy out there for a real rowdeedow! 23 skidoo!

gravatar Tony - June 4, 2007 - 10:56 PM -

Oh come on, the turboprop planes are fun. I usually take one from DTW to Cleveland (stupid I know, but my cheap a$$ still gets 500 frequent flier miles for it, so there) on the way to Philly.

Sometimes they've even asked me to move seats so that the weight distribution is acceptable for take off. When 200 lbs makes that much difference, that's a quality airplane.

I also like the fact that on the Beechcraft 1900s they don't have cockpit doors, so you can see them lining up the landing...it's particularly impressive at night. See, what's not to like!

gravatar srah - June 5, 2007 - 6:23 AM -

The takeoff/landing where you think you're going to die? The unending din? BOOOOO, propeller planes.