As I bit into the burger, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable...

My parents and I went to Miller's Bar on the way back from the auto show yesterday. The burgers were moist and juicy and the onion rings were addictive. I want moooooooooooooore.

srah - Tuesday, 17 January 2006 - 12:51 PM
Tags: ,

gravatar sarah - January 17, 2006 - 2:59 PM -

the auto show? how very...midwestern. except we have a philadelphia auto show. and that is not midwestern. i have no point now.

gravatar Amy - January 17, 2006 - 4:01 PM -

Miller's has the best burgers in Detroit, maybe even Michigan. We lived in Dearborn for 10 years and still go back occasionally just for the burgers there. Yum!!

gravatar Aunt Pam - January 17, 2006 - 5:02 PM -

Sarah . . . you have the wonderful beautiful flower show too! (Which is way better than an auto show)

gravatar srah - January 17, 2006 - 5:03 PM -

Are there burgers?

gravatar Anonymous - January 17, 2006 - 5:34 PM -

I'll take you to In & Out when u visit!

gravatar Your ARWYDK - January 17, 2006 - 8:00 PM -

So how about favoring us with your evaluation of the ubiquitous Ohio specialty, Skyline Chili?

Seriously, I'll freeze and mail you a Miller's burger (they are indeed scrumptious). It's the least I could do since you broke me up with the details of your valiant battle against Wrist Flu.

gravatar srah - January 17, 2006 - 10:24 PM -

I haven't had any yet! I keep thinking I should, but... I don't like chili that much, except for my mom's and my own. I guess I should branch out. What's so special about this stuff, anyway?

gravatar Aunt Pam - January 18, 2006 - 8:53 AM -

Cheesesteaks!

gravatar Your ARWYDK - January 18, 2006 - 1:10 PM -

Cincinnati chili is the southwestern Ohio equivalent of the coney dog, similarly first cooked up by Eastern European immigrants looking for the big score. It contains, among other things, chocolate and allspice, and for a mass-produced dish it's got a flavor with some interesting dimensions. Skyline Chili trucks its chili out from a central kitchen three times a week, and chili tends to improve if it sits around for a while. Skyline is my favorite, but the other chains have their partisans. The impracticality of eating Cincinnati chili is part of the experience--it's served on a ridiculously small plate, over spaghetti, no less, and if you order it "5-way," with beans, cheese, and onions, and top it with oyster crackers, there is no way to avoid spilling it all over the place. In a thoroughly regimented world, this has a certain charm, and they will give you a bib if you ask for one. In the friendlier small towns, they may even volunteer the bib if you are wearing something nice. That is my appreciation of Cincinnati chili.

gravatar EV - January 19, 2006 - 1:42 PM -

I haven't eaten meat in about nine months and that thing there drove a fork through my heart.

gravatar Allison - January 19, 2006 - 8:19 PM -

Your ARWYDK and I seem to be in on the know. As a matter of fact, (and I can't believe I just typed that), Skyline was recently on an episode of "The Secret Life of ..." on the Food Network. (The food was, of course, chili.)

Anyway, if you come to Cincinnati, I can take you to the infamous Clifton Skyline location. It's not the best, or cleanest, but it's where everyone goes for a classic Skyline experience.

(However, Skyline is rather fatty...hmmm. I'm trying to hold off on the exercise.)