Remake à la srah: The witch and the wardrobe

Last weekend I went home to see the UMGASS performance of The Sorcerer, attended a lovely SI party and went to the movies. I haven't been to the movies in Ohio yet, because I have no one to go with and a host of lovely old classics to check out of the library and watch at home. So I go back to Ann Arbor to go to the movies.

On Saturday night, I tore myself away from It's a Wonderful Life (which was showing on TV and which I was flat-out sobbing while watching because I was so emotionally affected by everything that happened to poor George Bailey) to go see The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. SPOILERS AHEAD:

I think that going into the movies, I had fonder memories of the book than I did coming out. The movie emphasized the parts of the book that bored me (fight scenes, anything involving the pain-in-the-neck Aslan) and glossed over the parts that I remember liking (the kids discovering Narnia, enstonèd creatures destoning, Lucy healing people on the battlefield). I also found the White Witch's relationship with Edmund rather disturbing (I was much younger when I read the book, but I remember it as more of a maternal or queen-subject relationship than this creepy possible pedophile-seduction act). I was disappointed that the focus was on Edmund and his when the book's focus had been on Lucy.

I was also frustrated with Aslan. All the recent press about TLTWATW being a "Christian" movie put me on my guard, having never noticed a Christian subtext when I read the books as a child (I was too young to know what a subtext was, anyway). I found myself watching Aslan and going "Nuh-uh! That's not like Christ! Nuh-uh, Jesus never did that!" I'm sure if I had read the books recently, I would remember why the heck everyone in Narnia thinks Aslan's so great. I thought he was a pompous know-it-all myself, and he kind of just showed up, died and came back to life. What was the point?

Complaining aside, it wasn't a bad movie. I'm not going to rush out and buy the DVD, but I don't feel like I wasted my time watching it. It was very beautiful and the CGI was well done. I'm just better at nitpicking than appreciating the good things about a movie!

srah - Friday, 16 December 2005 - 7:55 PM
Tags: ,

gravatar Cari - December 17, 2005 - 2:38 AM -

as far as I know Jesus did die and come back to life...

gravatar srah - December 17, 2005 - 9:36 AM -

If I recall correctly, he died, then rose again as a spiritual being, waved hello to the peoples and went up to heaven to sit on God's right hand or something. God's hand must be numb.

Anyway, he did not, like Aslan, wake up from death and run off to fight in battles and do his grocery shopping and get back to his normal everyday life.

gravatar Cheryl - December 17, 2005 - 12:21 PM -

I don't remember the book being Christian, either, but I guess CS Lewis was. I actually have his book Mere Christianity, which I've never read (it came free in the mail with some M&Ms and some Post-Its. Some sort of grad student package.)

gravatar Aunt Pam - December 17, 2005 - 6:03 PM -

Actually Srah, according to scripture, Jesus came back in physical form. He appeared to many folk, ate fish, cooked breakfast by the sea for the apostles, was witnessed by a group of 500, and lots o' other stuff. The Christian doctrine declares a physical resurrection and most definitely not merely Christ's resurrection as spiritual being.

C.S. Lewis, known as "Jack" because he hated his name Clive and I don't blame him, was a self-declared atheist until he formed a frienship with J.R. Tolkien, a devout Catholic. Tolkien gave such a case for Christianity that Lewis converted and spent a good portion of his life writing Christian apologetics. Both "The Chronciles of Narnia" & "The Lord of the Rings Trilogy" are replete with Christian Themes of Redemption, Sin, & Grace. Tolkien disliked allegorical form and didn't care for the Narnia tales. And for what it's worth, my favorite Lewis book is "The Screwtape Letters"

gravatar srah - December 17, 2005 - 9:07 PM -

Well, whatever form he came back in, he only came back to make public appearances before heading up to heaven. Whereas Aslan popped back up and went back to living his life. There was no sacrifice there - he didn't give up his life on Earth/in Narnia for Edmund. Instead he tricked the White Witch, who I would think would then still be able to lay claim to Edmund.

gravatar Amy - December 19, 2005 - 12:45 PM -

I recently watched "Birth of a Nation" (another silent, for the non-AFI/classic movie watchers) with a friend and found that I enjoyed the silent aspect of it. Mostly because we could talk freely about the movie (and other things) while it played and not miss anything or feel interuptive.

gravatar srah - December 19, 2005 - 1:53 PM -

Wrong comments box!

But I'm picking up BOAN at the library this evening. I'm kind of looking forward to it, because I've seen plenty of silent comedies, but no silent dramas.