'It comes in PINTS?!'

I had a nice carton of milk this weekend and am now enjoying a pint of the stuff with my lunch. This is strange to me because I've never really liked milk before.

Milky tea: yes. Milky chai: yes. Milky chocolate milk: yes. But white milk on its own: no.

So what the hell is happening? I just found myself thinking, So, Sarah, you like milk now? That's good, because you have two open quarts at home. (This is due to a shopping mishap this weekend.) But my inner milk-drinker balked at the thought. Ew, milk! So the only explanation that I've been able to come up with is that I am disgusted by the thought of drinking milk out of a glass.

Half-pint cartons picked up and poured into my mouth: yes. Half-pint cartons with straws: yes. Plastic bottles: yes. Glass bottles: maybe. A glass: no.

What is this weird mental block? Would it help if I drank it from a glass, through a straw? The jury's still out on that one. I think it would have to be a very wide straw.

WHAT THE HECK?

srah - Monday, 14 November 2005 - 12:57 PM

gravatar Not your mom - November 14, 2005 - 3:56 PM -

Just be glad you aren't lactose intolerant. Are you making chocolate pudding or rice pudding this week? Good way to use up milk. Or maybe a cup of hot cocoa? We will want that later this week here with snow flurries in the forecast.

gravatar Maine - November 14, 2005 - 4:31 PM -

In an attempt to help you feel normal, the exact same thing happened to me once upon a time. I did not care for straight milk at all.

One day though, I had a glass and suddenly decided that it was like the nectar I'd needed all my life. I ended up drinking like a quart a day.

In a related story, I grew about 7 inches that summer. Coincidence? Meh...

gravatar katie - November 14, 2005 - 8:27 PM -

I go through a gallon of milk every 5 or 6 days. I don't use it on cereal (I use soy milk for that) and I only use a very small amount in coffee or hot chocolate, and I never cook. So the only explanation is that I actually drink a gallon of milk in 5 days. And I do. I've been this way my whole life.

My glasses are plastic. Why don't you try that?

gravatar katie - November 14, 2005 - 8:28 PM -

Also, I wanted to suggest that perhaps your subconscious is reaching back to the days of elementary school, when everybody's lunch tray came with a milk carton standard.

gravatar srah - November 14, 2005 - 10:44 PM -

Ewwwwwwww, milk from plastic cups. That might be even worse than glass.

Yes, I've just imagined it and it is.

gravatar Not your mom - November 14, 2005 - 11:11 PM -

When I was in school we had the little cartons of milk and then when my son was young I was at my old school and my aunt (who worked at the school) invited us to eat at the cafeteria. The milk was in little plastic bags that you had to stab with a straw! How disturbing.

gravatar katie - November 15, 2005 - 9:41 AM -

I didn't say plastic cups, nerd. I said plastic glasses. And they're not those stupid jewel-colored red, blue or green plastic (you know, the surface is all rough) that are just hard party cups. No no. Mine are very nice. My mom bought them as a set for actual use in our house for years. When I moved to my own place, she gave them to me and bought another set.

gravatar Cheryl - November 15, 2005 - 12:23 PM -

Maybe it's cause you were FORCED to drink milk out of glasses and now you're rebelling.

Large plastic tumblers are great. Except for drinking wine in. Then one pours too much.

gravatar Jamie - November 18, 2005 - 10:48 AM -

Milk rocks. I especially enjoy drinking it out of glasses.
One of the gross things I do: I eat a piece of chocolate and then, while I'm still halfway through chewing it I take a big gulp of cold milk and try mix that with the chocolate.

In terms of gross that beats the hell out of your almond eating habits, doesn't it?