Whatever happened to class?

I've been watching the coverage of Hurricane Katrina this morning, including reports from newspeople on-site. All I have to say is, Peter Jennings would not have been wearing a t-shirt, shorts and a baseball cap on camera. I don't care how hot it is - I don't care what he changed into when he wasn't on camera - Peter Jennings would have been there on location in a button-down shirt.

I expect a certain level of dignity from my television journalists, thankyouverymuch, and no one seems to be delivering it anymore.

srah - Wednesday, 31 August 2005 - 9:03 AM
Tags: , ,

gravatar PapaCool - August 31, 2005 - 10:03 AM -

History is in the making as this will prove to be an economic, humanitarian and environmental disaster that politicians, businesses and students will study for years. MommyCool asks a great question and want to know who made the major network programming calls for Tuesday night and why? As New Orleans slowly flooded the day after hurricane Katrina departed, ABC-NBC-CBS-FOX chose to air their regular 3-hour meaningless evening programming. What about Americans without cable, Internet or satellite reception? You’d find that most Americans either: (A) Know someone displaced by the storm and flooding; (B) Have been to New Orleans which is a city that will never be the same; or, (C) will feel the household spending strains of $3.50-$4.00 per gallon gas in the coming months. The networks, which are licensed to broadcast programming in the nation’s best interest over the public airwaves, had their news divisions noticeable absent during primetime, Tuesday, August 30th. Instead, the American public was treated to Big Brother, Most Outrageous TV Moments, a double-dose of According To Jim - Rodney (?!) and House! Peter Jennings just rolled over in his grave.

gravatar Cheryl - August 31, 2005 - 6:32 PM -

I was amazed at how asinine they were. I was watching tv and there was one reporter who was standing in the rain going "Okay. Okay. Okay. I'm going to go run towards that mail box and try to get a glimpse of what I can see" (yes he did say that, or something to the effect). And I'm like, what are you going to see? Is there some sort of crazy gremlin driving this hurricane? He gets to the mailbox and he's like "I'm going to crouch down behind this mailbox." I'm like, thanks, guy. Thanks for the waste of my time.

gravatar Maine - September 1, 2005 - 9:30 AM -

All these kids are on TV posturing like Geraldo Rivera used to because they want you to feel "sorry" for them and marvel at their "bravery." They're bucking for an award is all. They use the news as an opportunity to sell themselves to America.

I can guarantee you that, before the camera came on, a lot of those jokers were mumbling to the camera-people about how this was going to get them a Pulitzer. It's almost as if they think that they are more important than the news itself.

And I'll tell you what... the next time I see a reporter watching somebody nearly drowning in a flood like this, and they don't turn off the camera and go help them, I'll have lost all hope in mankind's ability to think selflessly.

gravatar Mark Maynard - September 2, 2005 - 2:34 PM -

I think that class is all too apparent in the coverage of what's taking place in New Orleans... but maybe it's not "class" in the sense that you mean it.

gravatar sarah - September 3, 2005 - 3:19 PM -

you're right. pj would have done much better.

gravatar Anonymous - September 4, 2005 - 5:11 PM -

Srah, you are right: not only would Peter Jennings have worn a button down shirt, he would have worn the same shirt for at least 2 days in a row. I was so suprised to see the appearances of some those on location reporters. They didn't look like reporters, they looked like some folks with a camera and microphone.
Personally, I'm more interested in the lasting economic effects. I doubt that people will stop paying gas at any price. It has to be paid or else no one gets to work. The cost will be in the luxuries people cut out and the businesses that will lose money because of it.