Thoughts from the drive to Unidentified Town in Pennsylvania

Alas, I was not able to write down my thoughts as I went along for this portion of the trip. This is why I like public transportation! But here are my thoughts as I remember them:

• Right, let's take a look at this here TripTik. First step: Turn northeast onto... wait, northeast? Which way's northeast? I don't have a freaking northeast turn signal, thank you, AAA. I am not a Boy Scout. I am not that kid in my 6th grade class who always carried a compass in school.
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAH! Rental car! Rental car! Must not smash! Must not drive too fast! Must not drive so slow as to be rear-ended by someone coming fast up one of the many hills!
  • I don't think I was supposed to go into State College. Why is there nowhere to turn around?!
  • This area has a lot of great placenames, like Boogersburg and Waddle Swamp.
  • Apparently roadwork is not limited to the turnpike. I like it when a work zone ends about six feet before the sign for the next one.
  • Pennsylvania Public Radio had some nice Strauss on. It was good for driving. It should have occurred to me, though, that the rental car would have a CD player. Then I could have avoided the sadness that comes from driving away from a radio signal.
  • I have never been so happy to see divided highway. It's irrational, I know. You shouldn't be happy to see an impersonal divided highway like that. But with the great directions on these TripTiks, I enjoy something that is the same for miles on end and has clearly marked/numbered exits. I do not need to be told to get on 220 going northwest (what highways go northwest???) when I really should be going south. AAA, you and I aren't friends anymore.
  • The song that was playing as I turned into the hotel parking lot was Shilo! It's a sign! I don't know what it's a sign of, but it's definitely a sign.

srah - Tuesday, 2 August 2005 - 8:47 PM

gravatar Cari - August 2, 2005 - 9:29 PM -

Has T figured out where your interview is yet?

gravatar Tony - August 2, 2005 - 10:45 PM -

You need to stop with this road construction business...

I came home from CompUSA yesterday via Eisenhower and Huron Parkway. Getting there I took Main Street. All 3 had major construction projects going on. Getting to the Court House, I had a paving project on the, ahem, newly rebuilt Broadway bridge.

It's all over, get over it!

And just for that, I'll take a WHOLE CASE of the Chocolate Junior Tastykakes, if you please :-P

gravatar katie - August 3, 2005 - 8:57 AM -

You know, the position of the sun can be very handy for determining direction.

Did your locator dealie talk? My brother always rents the talking GPS system cars when he goes places. He switches it to the woman's voice. He named her Darla. Sometimes, he makes her speak Italian.

gravatar Aunt Pam - August 3, 2005 - 9:10 AM -

TASTYKAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the best words on earth! Right up there with AMOROSO! WAWA!

okay . . . I'm homesick now.

gravatar Cheryl - August 3, 2005 - 12:04 PM -

I'm wondering who used to carry the compass around in sixth grade.

PS Aunt Pam, you can order tasty cakes online, now.

gravatar NeighborGuy - August 3, 2005 - 12:20 PM -

You do know what they call the fear of driving through Pennsylvania lenght-wise, don't you?

Penntransitphobia.

gravatar ecook - August 3, 2005 - 3:22 PM -

I'm just so sidetracked thinking of the many possible tourist slogans for Boogersburg. Like "Pick Boogersburg!" and "Blow into Boogersburg!" and.. well, you get the idea.

gravatar ecook - August 3, 2005 - 3:23 PM -

And yes, I am ashamed I just posted that, thanks.

gravatar Tony - August 4, 2005 - 12:09 AM -

Yes, Aunt Pam, it's not a hoagie if it's not on an Amoroso! The best these people can do out here is a 'sub'. I'm also having a tough time convincing them how good a 'Steak wit Whiz' from Geno's is.

They'll NEVER understand :-(

gravatar apete - August 4, 2005 - 10:30 AM -

I still think if you are SUPPOSED to use Cheez Whiz then it should be called a Cheez Steak, cause that ain't cheese.

gravatar Tony - August 4, 2005 - 12:06 PM -

It's not Cheese Steak or Cheez Steak.

It's Cheesesteak. You can't separate the cheese from the steak. Then it's not Philadelphian.

You have to eat one to understand. And you have to eat it in South Philadelphia where it was born. After you do, it's like an aphrodisiac...then all of this doesn't matter. You just know that it's good and you want more. Also, Rocky will come and kick your face in if you don't like it :-P

gravatar Anonymous - August 4, 2005 - 1:21 PM -

Tony . . . youse are sooo right. It ain't a hoagie if it isn't Amoroso and make it with oil 'n vinegar please with oregano and sweet peppers . . . and it is most assuredly A Cheesesteak with da whiz. It amuses me to see how the midwest interprets a Philly Cheesesteak. Swiss Cheese????? Mozzerella???? Wassup with that? I miss South Street, the Italian Market, Pretzels on the corner, to say nothing of finding a decent pizza. I could lament forever.

gravatar apete - August 4, 2005 - 1:38 PM -

OK. So the only time that I had a cheezsteak in Philly was at a stand in the old Veterans Staudium. It probably wasn't what I was supposed to have but the people that I was with lived there but weren't from there. It was the last season for the stadium so I wanna say it was 2002 but I am not sure. Next time I'll know where to get dinner plans

gravatar Tony - August 4, 2005 - 3:19 PM -

If you ever come to visit in Philly with me, Andy, I'll hook you up.

gravatar katie - August 4, 2005 - 11:39 PM -

I had an authentic cheesesteak in Phillie once. It was delicious. However, my problem wasn't with "cheese", it was with "steak". That's not steak, it's shaved beef!

And I have to ask, being the ignorant New Englander... What the bloody heck are Tastykakes?

gravatar srah - August 5, 2005 - 8:28 AM -

Snack cakes, à la Little Debbie. My favorite is Butterscotch Krimpets!

gravatar Aunt Pam - August 5, 2005 - 8:50 AM -

Sorry Tony . . . that previous unnamed post was from me, I was too quick to write my comment and forgot to i.d. myself.

gravatar Not Your MOM - August 7, 2005 - 1:57 PM -

When do we get an update on how the interviews went?! I've been checking your blog every hour since Friday.