I take comfort in the thought that ASB will prosper even as HCI has fallen...

Despite all our efforts to defend the ideals of Userhood against the infidels, I'm afraid the time has come to admit that we've lost. I will have to be noble and valiant even in the face of defeat and go lay my sword* down at Jeremiah's feet. We fought a good fight, my HCI comrades, and you should be proud of yourselves.

Now we will just have to get used to life under our cruel archiving oppressors and try to adjust to their strange, foreign culture by donning their garb (ugly plaid flannel shirts) and adopting their customs (using acid-free everything, shrieking at the sight of staples and paperclips, drinking tea).

Update (6:20pm): WTF??? We came in fourth? We beat the archivists? I wrote this pre-emptive post for nothing? Well, I'd try to get used to the customs of the Tailored students, but who the hell knows what they do, anyway?

Congratulations, ASB, on your amazing fundraising. Apparently the seething resentment (or feigned seething resentment) between the specializations is worth $1,024.38!

–––––
* I don't actually have a sword. Maybe I will lay down a wrapping paper tube - we used to use those as swords.

srah - Friday, 18 February 2005 - 4:40 PM

gravatar alfie - February 18, 2005 - 6:59 PM -

At least the archivists lost. :)

gravatar mommy - February 18, 2005 - 9:31 PM -

Alfie, You're such a little traitor. Who pays part of your tuition? Archivists! Forget anything that may have gone into the HCI jar from this residence. I was misled. I thought pennies were bad and folding money was good. I'm rambling.

gravatar srah - February 18, 2005 - 9:33 PM -

Suuuuuuuuuure.

gravatar Noor - February 18, 2005 - 11:03 PM -

Why were we voted most vindictive?????

I wonder if Jeremiah will ever conjure up the courage to actually post a comment on your blog or my blog.

BLOG STALKER!!

gravatar srah - February 18, 2005 - 11:07 PM -

Or to show his face 'round these parts!

We should have been "most enthusiastic"! I bet a good chunk of the money in this contest came from HCI people!

Who's a blog stalker NOW?

gravatar Jeremiah - February 18, 2005 - 11:43 PM -

Hey! I've commented here before!

I was very excited (at first) that my name made it in a post - then I read further and now I'm pretty sure I wish it hadn't. . . . Although I would have been happy to accept your wrapping paper tube.

I'm still glad I'm ARM and not HCI - it's way better to be enthusiastic than vindictive, ha ha! And who had the most pennies overall, hmmmm? Oh, it was ARM, wasn't it?

Wait, sorry, Peter said we're supposed to be nice to each other again now. Well, SRAH and HCI, it was a good fight. . . .

PS I'll come over again, I promise! (but now that Tuesday's not on Wednesday anymore, it'll have to be after Easter 'cause I have choir practice on Tuesday nights till then)

(How come your comments box doesn't like paragraphs?)

gravatar Noor - February 18, 2005 - 11:44 PM -

We should file an official complaint but then I guess that would be vindictive.

gravatar Jeremiah - February 18, 2005 - 11:44 PM -

Never mind - it's just the preview box that doesn't like paragraphs. . . .

gravatar alfie - February 18, 2005 - 11:54 PM -

I'm sorry, I'm just annoyed by all of the people who say it's inevitable that I will attend the UMSoI someday. Blargh.

gravatar Cari - February 19, 2005 - 12:18 AM -

Go HCI...we beat ARM and that's all that's important. We beat the librarians too! And that's just SI not SoI :-p

gravatar alfie - February 19, 2005 - 9:25 AM -

I don't care. I'm not planning on going to grad school anywhere at UM, so it doesn't matter to me.

gravatar srah - February 19, 2005 - 9:59 AM -

ARM had the most pennies overall... but who had the most money thrown in against them?

gravatar Jeremiah - February 19, 2005 - 1:51 PM -

Only 'cause HCI is so darned vindictive. . . .

gravatar Noor - February 19, 2005 - 10:30 PM -

Ignore Jeremiah (shouldn't you be archiving something, anyway?). Go HCI. We've got the coolest sounding student organization - SOCHI! It sounds like it's out of some super cool kung fu movie.

What do the archivists have? SAA?

And the other student orgs are just as lame - SIMPLE, SLA, ALA . . . we totally have the coolest name.

gravatar tbone - February 20, 2005 - 1:18 AM -

I'm tailored and I don't appreciate the comments!!!!! we won (well no thanks to me--I did not donate one cent)

gravatar srah - February 20, 2005 - 1:52 AM -

What comments? What do you do, anyway?

gravatar Noor - February 20, 2005 - 7:48 PM -

Tailored always reminds me of those undeclared freshmen. They know they're supposed to be here; they're just not exactly sure why.

The Tailoreds will scoff at my comment and claim that they cannot be pigeon holed into specializations. But I say to classify is indeed human and they need to make up their freaking minds!

Why don't the Tailoreds have a student organization, by the way?

(these comments are made in gist, specialization trash talking is too fun to pass up)

gravatar Josh - February 21, 2005 - 10:18 AM -

Of course HCI did well.... The final tally ($1024) is a power of two. It was planned.

gravatar srah - February 21, 2005 - 10:24 AM -