If we didn't have women's bathrooms, where would we talk?

Have you ever thought about how strange public restrooms really are? Why do we put up stalls so that we can't be seen, but not care about whether anyone hears us peeing? Why is one sense so much more important than the other in terms of privacy? And why do they separate the men's and women's bathrooms? If they all had stalls, would it really matter?

I am full of questions today.

srah - Friday, 14 January 2005 - 10:33 AM

gravatar MaTT - January 14, 2005 - 2:17 PM -

Have you heard of what bathrooms are like in Japan? They actually have little noise-creators that produce the sound of flushing water, so you can muffle the sounds that, uh, you are making. So when you go into Japanese bathrooms (at least the ones my sister went into) all you hear is flushing sounds, *all the time*.

gravatar srah - January 15, 2005 - 12:21 AM -

I think I read about that in her brief blogging foray... :)

gravatar kim - January 15, 2005 - 10:50 AM -

I must admit, I don't deal well with people hearing me pee. I just don't like the idea one bit.

What I really dislike in public restrooms is people who try to make small talk with you. Like, hi, I'm just here to pee, not make friends.

However, I've never had that happen to me in France, only in the US, so I suppose I'm sheltered from that these days.

gravatar Mr B------ - January 15, 2005 - 12:43 PM -

Once, I went into a men's room and the only free stall was the middle of three. It turned out that there were two men--one on either side of me--conversing. It was so annoying.

gravatar Yvonne - January 16, 2005 - 2:41 AM -

I've been to a unisex washroom once, I did not like it at all - felt too uncomfortable.

gravatar Jamie - January 16, 2005 - 12:25 PM -

I hate that people can hear you in public restrooms. I'm usually really happy when no-one is there besides me. So, go ahead and make them soundproof. You have my blessings.

gravatar purple elephant - January 16, 2005 - 12:31 PM -

Oh yes I'd be up for soundproof restrooms thing. I never chat while I'm going for a pee. Oh No! I'd say no to unisex bathrooms too, I've worked in a bar and had to clean the men's room. Ewwww they stink!
Oh and Michelle sent me! Yes I was the next commenter!!