'Did ever pirate roll/ His soul in guilty dreaming,/ And wake to find that soul/ With peace and virtue beaming?'

I had a clever strategy this year.

I have learned, over the course of last year, that my CD-alarm clock will not wake me up. Usually it just gives me strange dreams influenced by whatever musical soundtrack happens to be in there and I continue sleeping until a Real Live Human Being comes in and informs me that it is after 7am and I might want to think about getting up soon.

So this year, I have set my clock with two different alarms - the CD that begins at 6:30 and then the radio that interrupts it at 7. I set the radio to the nauseatingly peppy morning show on WNIC, knowing that hearing their annoying banter would force me to get up in order to turn it off.

Ah, la naïvété.

My body, instead, has trained itself to sleep through both the CD and the annoying banter, to the point where I wake up sometime after the radio's been playing for a while and convince myself - in my dreamy haze - that I will just keep sleeping until the CD starts.

I really ought to give up and set several buzzing alarms.

srah - Wednesday, 22 September 2004 - 7:27 AM
Tags: ,

gravatar MaTT - September 22, 2004 - 12:41 PM -

I agree -- buzzing, beeping things are much more annoying and thus wake-inducing. *beeeep! beeeep! beeeep! beeeep! beeeep!* (see?) ;)

gravatar Jez - September 22, 2004 - 1:56 PM -

I have a tendency to sleep through alarms too. But now I have the lovely hi-fi I bought in Paris a couple of years ago. That switches on and plays music at the loud volume I set it to. I don't set it to play a bad CD to force me to get up - but it does have to be fairly framatic music. I once set it to start up with some Debussy Preludes. Needless to say, that had the calming, sleepy effect of a lullaby, and I didn't get up.

gravatar Jez - September 22, 2004 - 1:58 PM -

But if I can't find any framatic music, I choose dramatic music. Damn typing fingers don't work still.

gravatar Cheryl - September 22, 2004 - 3:22 PM -

I get up all super early three days a week to drive into Cleveland and get home a little before noon, eat lunch and then take a nap. I'd sleep right through the game shows (Family Fued and Pyramid, although I sometimes got into FF, but ALWAYS fell asleep when Donnie Osmond came on), and wake up just in time for the soaps. I could tell when the type of show changed, from loud to quite and with a soft sdtk. But then they got rid of the game shows and put Larry Elder (who is this guy?) on and I haven't gotten used to this new noise. So I turned on something else and slept into the soaps because their programming didn't change! So now I just don't get naps anymore. It's sad, really.

gravatar Noor - September 22, 2004 - 8:29 PM -

Try The Cranberries "Wake Up and Smell the Coffee." There's nothing like an angry Irish lady screaming, "WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP."

If you've got a gmail account, I can email you the mp3.

gravatar srah - September 22, 2004 - 10:06 PM -

quesrah. Yippee!

gravatar srah - September 22, 2004 - 10:13 PM -

Another good one is Catatonia's "International Velvet": "Everyday, when I wake up, I THAAAAANK THE LORRRRRD I'M WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELSH!!!!1"

gravatar Noor - September 23, 2004 - 7:39 AM -

Is being not Welsh really that bad? They sound uber thankful. Thanks for the mp3!

gravatar mommy - September 23, 2004 - 8:01 AM -

Thank goodness for me, the real live human being.

gravatar srah - September 23, 2004 - 8:56 AM -

Yes, thank you!

gravatar alfie - September 23, 2004 - 9:49 AM -

And on weekends, you can occasionally have ME! After I wake you up, you get to make waffles!

gravatar Cheryl - September 23, 2004 - 2:20 PM -

Occaisonally? (JK - I was only back one weekend and you just happened to be there, too. I know, cause I'm stalking you.)

gravatar Rachel - September 24, 2004 - 1:23 PM -

I usually wake up to the radio. One time it got turned up insanely loud by accident which resulted in my being ripped from my sleep by Sophie B. Hawkins shrieking "Damn! I wish I was your lover!"

That didn't really happen to me, but I wish it had because it makes me laugh every time I think about it.

gravatar senatorhung - September 27, 2004 - 8:23 PM -

i could never stand country music growing up, so when i got to rez and my regular alarms began to fail me, i added in a country music station to the mix. this worked for about a month and then i found myself humming along to billy ray and garth :(

anyway, these days, i just try to mentally tell myself to wake up at a particular time as i'm drifting off and that usually works. oh, plus the cd / radio / buzzing alarm / sunlight streaming into my eyes combo :)