Tuck me into bed or lose me forever?

Well, might as well tell you what I did with my weekend. It's the first time in at least a month that I've spent the weekend in P-------- and it was actually a nice change. None of the stress of making trains and all, and a few nice mornings to sleep through.

On Friday Becky, Melissa, Johan and I went to Blois. Becky got her hair colored and spent the rest of the day looking down at her hair and freaking out because she was a brunette for the first time in something like 8 years. The rest of us did a little shopping and went to the hypermarché outside of town. I'd never been, so there was plenty to see. I really enjoy hanging around in supermarkets. It's probably weird, but when my friends and I were growing up, some kids would loiter and linger around the mall for no reason - we've always had more of a tendency to hang out at Meijer.

Friday night, there was a big do because several of the summer interns left over the course of the weekend. We went to the local bar/café Le Commerce for hours, but at 2am we had to go home because the bar was closed and we were too loud in the streets. Some people continued the party at the abbey, but five of us went to the local(ish) disco Le Caveau, which is apparently the disco of choice of the abbey. As is usually the case with me, it's taken me two months to get to the disco, it took a while to get me out on the floor, but once I was out there, I danced non-stop until the place closed. I danced with Becky's friend Arnaud's friend Arnaud (Arnaud #2) for most of the evening, which was much more pleasant than being talked at by him, as had been the case at Le Commerce.

We got home between 5:30 and 6 and I went to bed... then had to get up at 10:30 to help serve lunch to the visiting groups. I was remarkably lively, but after it was over (3pm) I went back to the room and collapsed on the bed for a nap. Becky walked in about five minutes later and declared that we were going for a walk and that I could nap after she was gone.

So, because we are stupid, we walked from P-------- to Montrichard via Bourré. It's probably only about 7km, but it was also in the middle of the afternoon sun on one of the hottest days we've had yet. I was disgustingly sweaty and completely red when Thierry came to pick us up and take us to his winery for a dégustation. We went on a tour of the vineyard and he showed us the baby vines and the ones that will be ripe just after I leave in August. :( Then he took us back to the winery to show us the Australian-style equipment he uses to press, store and ferment the juice, and to taste the wine. I had three glasses on an empty (and probably dehydrated) stomach and coupled with my exhaustion, was pretty silly afterwards.

Thierry took us home and we showered and got ready for the barbecue that the Arnauds had invited us to, planning to stop there before going on to Le Caveau again. It turned out it was more of a beach party on the banks of the Cher river than a barbecue, and none of us were really dressed appropriately, so we only made a brief appearance (although I did get two marshmallows).

We moved on to Le Caveau, where almost everyone from the abbey was hanging around and dancing. I didn't have my roommates there and I felt out of place and exhausted, so I didn't dance all night and just sat and watched everyone else dance. It was kind of depressing, but whatever.

Finally, Le Caveau closed and we all had to get home. I, by virtue of being exhausted rather than drunk, was selected as designated driver and took Kathy, Anca and Chad home with me. I don't think I've really done a lot of night driving, so it was interesting in the turny, windy dark, deserted streets.

I slept until 1pm on Sunday, with a short break at 7:45am when the stupid musicians woke me up by tramping up and down stairs and yelling at each other. Sunday was lovely because I did absolutely nothing. I hung around the room all day, reading, playing The Sims and watching Top Gun for the first time.

I know! I am almost 24 years old and I'd never seen Top Gun! Well... I wasn't missing much. When Tom Cruise tries to look like he's having severe emotional distress and he might cry, he just looks like he's going to throw up. It's sort of like someone wanted to make a movie about aerial combat and decided to throw a story and some dialogue in there at the last minute.

I finally left the room in the evening to make dinner, then popped over to La Cure to steal some of their Internet for a few moments. Becky and I decided to have a Girls' Night In, so we painted our nails and watched Lost in Translation on Isidore until we decided we were exhausted and went to sleep.

srah - Sunday, 1 August 2004 - 7:15 PM

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments (0)

Blog Directory - Blogged