Morning #3

My calves have hurt every morning since I've been here - sort of like the muscles are tight from a lot of use. But I don't know what I've done that could have strained them. I've walked up and down a lot of stairs... they also sometimes tighten up when I'm sitting at the computer for a long time. Any suggestions, Dr Alfie?

The flies here are driving me crazy, but I think they're mostly just lost. They'll buzz and buzz around the room, but if I go over and open the window, they'll usually fly right out. The problem is, if I leave the window open, more will fly in. Sigh. Maybe they just want attention.

srah - Thursday, 10 June 2004 - 4:47 AM

gravatar Aunt Pam - June 10, 2004 - 8:40 AM -

Start with self-massage to improve circulation and warm the tissue[ place your hands on either side of your calf, gently pumping motion with movement towards your heart].Try some simple stretches for your lower legs Sarah. Alternatingly, point your toes towards the floor and then towards the ceiling, [dorsiflexion & plantar flexion] beginning gently so you don't throw your calves into spasms. In addition there's always RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation.

gravatar MaTT - June 10, 2004 - 8:54 PM -

Wow - i was just gonna say that i don't think she's used to walking around so much ;)

gravatar alfie - June 11, 2004 - 10:23 PM -

I would have suggested the same thing as Aunt Pam. I'm sorry I couldn't get to a computer to check your blog this past week, I've been on call 24 hours a day. I'm at the beck (HA!) and call of young children all the time. Over one hundred of them.

gravatar srah - June 12, 2004 - 5:27 PM -

The calves are feeling better now! Thank you all for your advice.

MOOOOOOO!

gravatar alfie - June 13, 2004 - 9:09 AM -

Where do calves eat lunch?

In the calfeteria...this is what I get for being around children all week.

gravatar katie - August 25, 2004 - 9:26 PM -

100 children? Puh-leeeez! Try 300, for two weeks, 4 times. 1200!!!!!!!

Oh, and while I was away at camp all summer I had to walk and hike and run and scream and other muscle-affecting stuff, so now I am buff. Although absolutely NO poundage was lost, inchage was, and I am now sexy super Katie.