Entretien d'embauche

I put on my suit and blow-dried my hair, mascaraed and lipsticked myself and put on the new shoes I bought just this weekend in preparation for my interview. I looked in the mirror and there was a grown-up in there. I don't know who she was.

The interview went well and it looks like I may soon have an offer and I may spend part of the summer in France. They asked a lot of the usual interview questions, but there were still a few that threw me. "Tell us about a problem that you've had that you weren't able to solve," for example.

Who goes around just leaving problems unsolved? I solve my problems and if I can't solve them myself, I farm them out to other people to solve. I outsource. Problems are for solving. I couldn't come up with an example, so I told them that I was pretty sure I just solved my problems. I guess that was an acceptable answer.

Have you ever had any zingers in a job interview?

srah - Monday, 29 March 2004 - 11:08 PM
Tags: , ,

gravatar Matthew the Young - March 30, 2004 - 1:48 AM -

this isn't a job interview, but it was a college interview, where the interviewer asked me to envision my high school, then imagine myself floating 100 feet above the school, looking down at all my classmates. How would i describe my school and my classmates from that extended point of view?

"Umm.... tiny?"

Good luck with the interview results -- hope you get to return to France for a little while, tho we'll miss you here! :)

gravatar srah - March 30, 2004 - 6:01 AM -

lol

gravatar Smuj - March 30, 2004 - 6:50 AM -

Microsoft is notorious for its crazy interview questions. They throw logic and spacial reasoning puzzles at you to evaluate your intelligence and creativity. The manager that hired me into my current position worked for Microsoft in his previous job, and brought along this gem for my interview: "Why are manhole covers round?"

The first answer that popped into my head was, "Well, because manholes are round, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what shape the lid should be for a round hole." The answer he wanted was that a circle is the only shape that won't fall into the hole, regardless of the angle it's turned at. It occurred to me after the fact that there are many more good reasons, and had I had time to ponder, I could have looked a lot smarter.

I got the job anyway.

gravatar katie - March 30, 2004 - 8:41 AM -

I had a job interview once where the interview committee was made up of three people I had worked with in my previous job, and one that I had never met. That fourth person asked me this:

"If I asked your previous colleagues to speak frankly about your performance on the job, what do you think they would say about you?"

What was I supposed to say? I looked at them all, smiled, and said, "I think they would say I was really great!"

gravatar Steven - June 9, 2004 - 12:51 AM -

When they ask what problem you haven't solved or what your weakness is just answer "that sometimes you work too hard". It's a pat answer but works everytime.

(anybody dumb enough to ask a bullshit question like that deserves a bullshit answer)