Any Washingtonians out there?

I spent Fat Tuesday 2000 in Louisiana. 2001 was in Grenoble. 2003 was in Vichy. I didn't expect them in France, but I was disappointed to find that paczki seem to be a Michigan tradition that has not spread around the US.

This year, I will be in Washington, DC. Does anyone know where one can find paczki in Washington?! Do I need to go and scratch at the gates of the Polish embassy?

My parents are willing to buy and freeze one for me to eat when I get back, but it's not the same. I really don't want to have to call all of these bakeries and ask...

Interesting note: In my Googlings research, I have discovered that the singular of paczki is "paczek" (pohn-check).

srah - Tuesday, 17 February 2004 - 10:37 AM

gravatar alfie - February 17, 2004 - 11:52 AM -

If you were to become so desperate that you wouldn't mind frozen ones, you could have mine.

gravatar Josh Crockett - February 17, 2004 - 1:19 PM -

I've spent quite a bit of time in the DC/Northern Virginia area and never heard of them.

But you could try calling the places on Polish Washington: Food -- you can get to both of them by Metro, although the Polonez would be a bit of a walk from the Silver Spring station.

What brings you to Washington?

gravatar katie - February 17, 2004 - 1:45 PM -

I can't believe you've missed the obvious solution! Just go to pastry school, learn how to make them, and then open your own bakery in Washington.

Or at least make your own at home...

gravatar srah - February 17, 2004 - 2:10 PM -

Katie - when was the last time you made a paczki? Even Poles buy them at the bakery around here.

Josh - I'm doing a Spring Break work experience.

gravatar jday - February 17, 2004 - 2:11 PM -

We actually have them here in St. Louis, vile things that they are.... Every year I eat one thinking that this year I'll actually like them (if you've never had one, it's like eating a handful of lard- about as healthy, too), and every year I feel like I need to bjork afterwards...

gravatar Jez - February 17, 2004 - 3:00 PM -

To bjork?

What do crazy Icelandic singers have to do with it?

gravatar srah - February 17, 2004 - 3:10 PM -

Hee hee hee - "bjork".

gravatar Erica - February 17, 2004 - 5:23 PM -

When I first moved to Minnesota I brought it up and everyone looked at me like I was crazy. Took me a couple days to track down what must be the only Polish bakery in the damn state and their paczki selection was pitiful.

gravatar jday - February 17, 2004 - 7:25 PM -

I don't know- whenever I hear "bjork", I think vomit. Not that she or her singing makes me want to vomit. The word just sounds like a euphemism for BARF to me.... Plus, it's fun to say!

gravatar Cleo - February 18, 2004 - 2:53 PM -

I have no idea, but if you do find them down here, you have to let me know. And we should totally do a coffee thing since you'll be in this neck of the woods!

gravatar rick - February 21, 2004 - 11:05 PM -

I'm in the same boat as you, Srah. I just finished grad school at Michigan and now live in DC. The best lead I could dig up for Polish bakeries was the
Polonez Bakery in Silver Springs, Maryland. I guess I'll try calling them on Monday to see whether they'll have them. Now that I know that paczkis are a Michigan thing, I want to get a bunch and treat/submit my coworkers to em.