Yes, I have a question on the homework: WTF, mate?

At this point in my SI career...

... if I had a friend who was interested in a career as an information professional of some sort and was looking at U-M, I would tell them to turn around and run as fast as they possibly can.

... if I hadn't already spent a semester's worth of time and tuition here, I would be thinking about dropping out.

... if I felt that the Choice & Learning foundations course was actually building a foundation for my career as an information professional, I would be rethinking my career path.

... I am so annoyed by this class and the idea that I should have to take it that I can't find any words to express my anger and frustration so I just want to scream and cry and swear and tear my hair out (and rhyme, apparently).

Up yours, SI 502! I am not in grad school to do math! I can't even focus on the classes I do like, because you are sapping my time and energy. Kindly eat me.

srah - Thursday, 22 January 2004 - 12:36 PM

gravatar Cheryl - January 22, 2004 - 12:45 PM -

Are you talking about just the math based course? Cause maybe it's just taking you a while to get back into school, if it's more that just that one. Just keep on truckin'. Maybe set due dates for yourself that are way before the real date so you can get everything finished without doing it all at once.

gravatar srah - January 22, 2004 - 1:06 PM -

It's mostly just that class that's ruining my life and eating up all of my energy and desire to live, although not being able to recommend SI is a combination of several things...

gravatar Amy - January 22, 2004 - 1:55 PM -

I TOLD you that if they put 502 and 503 first semester they would NEVER HAVE ANY GRADUATES OF THE PROGRAM. You'll pass, otherwise they can't extort any more money out of you or your parents and give you your degree. But I know - you can't believe you're paying MONEY for this torture. Next term will be better, much much better.

gravatar katie - January 22, 2004 - 2:38 PM -

Since U-M recently emailed me and basically said, "Based on everything we dug up on you* we want you! We will have you! No matter what! You are OURS!!!" I will take your advice and run run run.

* I think that prestigious, upstanding universities which dig up information on me is scarier than when the spammers do it...

gravatar srah - January 22, 2004 - 3:06 PM -

No! I have to use you as my pawn! You lie and tell them you'll come if they can keep Webmail up for more than two weeks in a row! And if they remove 502 from the curriculum, starting today!

gravatar katie - January 22, 2004 - 3:45 PM -

Fine, fine. But only if I get to go for free.

gravatar frank - January 22, 2004 - 8:07 PM -

Now, for the first time, scientists say they have proved what creative minds have known all along: that our sleeping brains continue working on problems that baffle us during the day, and that the right answer may come more easily after eight hours of rest.

The German study is considered to be the first hard evidence supporting the commonsense notion that creativity and problem-solving appear to be directly linked to adequate sleep.

But ..... what if you can't problem-solve because you haven't gotten "adequate" sleep? Eight hours? What a laugh!

gravatar frank - January 22, 2004 - 8:10 PM -

I'm so exhausted I can't even get my tags right.

gravatar Urs - January 23, 2004 - 6:15 PM -

you know, despite all the problems and how much I participate in the complaining... I like SI

Also, one class should not be that hard - if it is, talk to the profs, have a little pow wow with them and address your problems and demand solutions

gravatar frank - January 24, 2004 - 1:44 AM -

I like SI too. But I think this class is objectively difficult if you don't have some recent experience in college-level math and economics (some people, like me, managed to graduate without getting enough of either -- which is my problem, I realize). I also realize that I came in with my eyes open and knew that I would have to take this course.

A conference with the prof or with GSIs might get some sympathy, and possibly some suggestions for assistance, and I plan to take advantage of as many chances to get help as I can in a class of that size (there are probably 200 students in both sections of the class), but I don't see what solutions would make the work in this class less difficult than it is for someone (like me) with the limitations above. However, that's just my opinion, and I know that I'm probably not seeing all of the possibilities.

gravatar srah - January 24, 2004 - 1:47 AM -

I think I mostly like SI... it just seems like such a mess most of the time, and like no one knows what they're doing. This is probably because I have no idea what I'm doing...

gravatar Urs - January 24, 2004 - 2:09 AM -

thats good to hear :) I hope I din't have as many problems when I take 502 - oh and sarah, we passed the card around, nobody knows what it means, there are some theories but nobody knows. My mom is taking it to work to get more input

gravatar srah - January 24, 2004 - 9:27 AM -

Wow, that arrived quickly!

gravatar frank - January 24, 2004 - 1:25 PM -

Sorry about the venting ..... I had to "get it out of my system" about that class.

gravatar srah - January 25, 2004 - 1:51 AM -

Nah, I think you're more positive than I am!