This is just an excuse to try out the TrackBack function

I have re-discovered the assistants' group and am trying to lend my Great Knowledge and Experience (ha) to next year's crop, including the eleven million of them who are from Ann Arbor. I wish I had my archives in order, but instead I will have to point out the incomplete category archives for the assistantship, Vichy, and France, and let you read more as more posts get sorted into these categories.

srah - Tuesday, 10 June 2003 - 10:05 AM

gravatar lee - June 10, 2003 - 10:32 AM -

Srah - looks like the trackback worked. I saw your pic on your site and I guess I don't know you, but now that I think about it I didn't know anybody from '98, really just '96 and '97ers.

Anyway, more people have stopped by, so it looks like we might have a sizeable little group in the end, which is groovy.

gravatar Jez - June 10, 2003 - 11:35 AM -

Is it just me, or is organising previously written posts into categories a total pain in the rear end? I can't work out a way to do it other than edit each individual post and then assign a category that way. But it's taking forever - and I'm getting thunderously bored with it. Have I overlooked some superfast one-click-and-you're-done technique?

gravatar srah - June 10, 2003 - 11:41 AM -

I wish! The power-editing mode under List & Edit entries is helpful, but if I can't see the content of the posts, I don't know which categories it belongs in. So I slog along. I wish I didn't have to rebuild after each post - if I could just do a big mass rebuild after editing a chunk, it would take less time.

gravatar katie - June 11, 2003 - 9:13 AM -

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who's ticked off with this.

You what else bugs me? The fact that in order to manually transfer them over, I have to 1) create a new post 2) copy/paste stuff 3) rebuided and THEN I can alter the date and add multiple categories. I have to rebuild twice for every post. Why can't I add multiple categories and alter the date right away? Would the be such a bad thing that they couldn't put that in?

gravatar srah - June 11, 2003 - 9:20 AM -

Hint: When you create the new post, create it as a draft. Hit "save", then it won't rebuild, but you can change the date, etc, then change the post status before you save again.