Previous entry:
« Worst State Ever?

Hello, my flow-ere.

My many many Internet Moms and my one Real Life Mom will be pleased to know that I finally broke down and went to the doctor today. I am pleased to know that - even though my symptoms had predictably cleared up by the time my appointment rolled around - my doctor trusted that I really do have allergy problems. I am also pleased to know that - thanks to the miracle of insurance - a prescription for Allegra costs me half as much as a box of over-the-counter Claritin. Why have I been suffering for so long? Sigh.

My doctor also gave me a free sample of Nasonex. If I had just seen the word Nasonex for the first time today, I think I would have pronounced it "NAY-zon-ex" but unfortunately my brain has been tainted by that stupid stupid cartoon bee, so I have to pronounce it "NAAAAAAAY-so-nex" with an overly dramatic Spanish accent.

srah - Wednesday, 17 October 2007 - 8:34 PM
Tags: ,

gravatar bob - October 18, 2007 - 7:13 AM -

I'm glad you got some professional help! :)

gravatar mommy - October 18, 2007 - 7:59 AM -

I hope you are feeling better!

gravatar Not your mom - October 18, 2007 - 10:58 AM -

I have used Nasonex for 2 years and I NEVER think about that bee. I do like being able to breath and rarely need a pill except on the worst days. I'm hope you are feeling better. Allergy season is almost over.

gravatar EV - October 18, 2007 - 2:31 PM -

I have allergies, and started using Nasonex about 8 years ago. It works great. It also, over the course of a year, burned a hole straight through my septum that required surgery to fix. But they said I was like a one-in-one-thousand rarity. So I'm just saying, like, pay attention to what happens when you use it every day.

gravatar srah - October 18, 2007 - 6:18 PM -

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

gravatar Not your mom - October 19, 2007 - 9:33 AM -

You have to spray and snort at the same time to get it up there where it is needed. It will do you no good if it pools in your nostrils and on your face. :-(

I found bending forward and spraying works better than standing straight, but whatever works best for you....

gravatar srah - October 19, 2007 - 9:39 AM -

Yeah, I've never used any kind of nasal spray before, so I made the mistake of holding my breath in anticipation of the spray. :)

gravatar Fraulein N - October 19, 2007 - 9:55 PM -

I've got serious allergies, but I refuse to use nasal spray. I can't stand the sensation of stuff going up my nose.

There goes my career as a junkie.

gravatar Sylvie - October 22, 2007 - 9:54 AM -

Have you gotten tested by an allergist? Jeff and I both got tested and found what we were allerguic too. I have been getting allergy shots for yr now and trust me, I like not dying everytime the weather changes.

Also, according to my allergist, you are not supposed to snort the nasal stuff. You have to hold it right outside the nostril and do the spray and then just breathe it in normally. If you snort it, it'll just drip down your throat.

I used to be on 4 different daily meds. Now, I just have asmanex and a nasal spray. Even that, the doc's going to cut down at my next appintment.

gravatar Not your mom - October 22, 2007 - 3:07 PM -

When I suggested snorting I didn't mean to actually snort. That was just to be funny. You do need to breath in as suggested by Sylvie. It really makes a difference if you do it right. Snorting it down your throat is nasty and can leave a bad taste in your mouth all day.

gravatar srah - October 22, 2007 - 3:39 PM -

I think I've got a system now!

gravatar Not your mom - October 22, 2007 - 6:37 PM -

Unfortunately a sore throat can be a side effect of using Nasonex. Drainage, I think. In that case, avoid diary products which produce mucus or you will be on a mucus/drainage merry go round. :-(

gravatar srah - October 23, 2007 - 12:35 PM -

The corporeal incarnation of the Young Tom Riddle was a diary product... ;)

Dairy products are so delicious! I don't like milk, but now that I know it will make me phlegmy, I will probably crave it all day. Alas.