Did you troy the pline cike?

It's going to take me a while to tell you all about my weekend in DC, but in the meantime I will give you a short post to tide you over:

I am very boring and like plain cake doughnuts the best. Powdered sugar gets everywhere and chokes you when you inhale it. Glazed doughnuts are sticky. Doughnuts with filling explode all over you, and the cavity in the middle is never exactly centered, which bothers srah more than it should. The doughnut shop in Srahtown only sells glazed doughnuts. It makes srah sad and fits into her assertion that Ohio likes to put frosting and icing where it doesn't belong. However, srah found plain cake doughnuts at Kroger today on the way to work! Hooray for srah. I think it will be a good day.

What is your favorite kind of doughnut, o reader?

srah - Wednesday, 8 August 2007 - 12:05 PM
Tags: , , , ,

gravatar J - August 8, 2007 - 12:58 PM -

I like cake doughnuts too...only chocolate cake, with chocolate icing.

gravatar Sylvie - August 8, 2007 - 1:15 PM -

I don't like doughnuts!

I have been told that's unAmrica of me but then I also have not seen Top Gun or any of the Godfather movies.

gravatar srah - August 8, 2007 - 1:27 PM -

Top Gun is terrible. I think it's one of those things that people of our generation saw when they were young and have romanticized, but I saw it for the first time when I was 24 or so and didn't get what was so great about it. Roger Ebert seems to agree with me.

The Godfather was good, but I still have to see Godfather II. I keep meaning to watch II but then I go and watch the first one again.

gravatar sarah - August 8, 2007 - 3:14 PM -

i like donuts with the cream in the middle. NOT custard or bavarian cream or whatever, but vanilla cream. white. sugary. delicious. long johns as they were called back home. they only come in round out here. fucking east coast.

gravatar Merrie Haskell - August 8, 2007 - 3:25 PM -

I lurve boston cremes. Custard center, chocolate glaze. Yums.

gravatar katie - August 8, 2007 - 4:58 PM -

Chocolate frosted from Dunkin Donuts!!! Or glazed. :D

Why are you always comparing everything to Top Gun??

gravatar srah - August 8, 2007 - 5:29 PM -

Heh heh heh. Top Gun is stalking me.

gravatar tiff - August 8, 2007 - 10:53 PM -

Im a plain cake donut-er, or no donut-er. When will we ever decide if it's doughnut or donut? My spell check rejects doughnut!

gravatar Cheryl - August 9, 2007 - 8:14 AM -

I like plain donuts dipped in milk. But I really like Apple Orchard Donuts in any flavor.

gravatar J - August 9, 2007 - 9:00 AM -

Re: Top Gun. Ha ha, Worst Movie Ever, but oh so cliched and hilarious. Definitely part of that class of films that fit into the American Crap genre, a la Armageddon.

Re: Doughnuts vs Donuts. "Doughnuts" are the things you bought in a bakery that were baked and fried today. "Donuts" are the things you bought out of a vending machine or in the snack aisle at the grocery store that are more preservative now than doughnut, twisted and evil.

gravatar srah - August 9, 2007 - 9:16 AM -

That is a good way of distinguishing them. I will use that rule from now on.

You know what is a Great Crappy Movie? Con Air. I love Con Air so much more than is reasonable. "Put the bunny... back in the box."

gravatar chaddq - August 9, 2007 - 12:04 PM -

cake, cake, cake doughnuts. have you ever made doughnuts from scratch? it's not as tough as it sounds, and you'll get amazing results! you do have to face that big pot of oil, though, and admit that doughnuts are not-so-healthy.

gravatar srah - August 9, 2007 - 1:23 PM -

I have a pathological fear of oil fires (maybe I was boiled in oil in a previous life) so I never deep-fry anything. I leave it to experts.

gravatar Not your mom - August 9, 2007 - 4:13 PM -

My favorites are cake doughnuts either plain for chocolate. No frosting or glaze.
I never saw Top Gun or The Godfather movies.

gravatar Aunt Pam - August 9, 2007 - 4:53 PM -

My favorite is the same as my 99 year-old grandmother. Grandma calls 'em fry cakes. Simple plain fried doughnuts. And the very best were made in an old farm house on Ridge Road in Western New York. Best ever. Fresh, hot, and in a brown paper bag. Mmmm.

gravatar srah - August 9, 2007 - 5:20 PM -

Ooh, yes. Doughnuts are so much better in a paper bag for some reason.

gravatar Sylvie - August 10, 2007 - 8:35 AM -

Hmm apparently I am also showing my foreigner colors by typing everything wrong.

Srah, buy a deep fryer with a lid. We use it all the time to make french fries. I am scared of hot oil burns too but you throw the stuff in, close the lid, few minutes later, turn it off, take the stuff out and ENJOY!

Con Air was awesome! So was Armageddon; I cried like a baby when Bruce Willis died in the end.

gravatar Jessie - August 13, 2007 - 3:58 PM -

Two words: FRY DADDY.

Plug it in get the oil hot. Open a can of canned biscuits and cut them in thirds or just poke a hole in the middle to make a "real" doughnut. Drop them in, when they float, they're ready. Take little doughnuts out and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Best. Shit. Ever.

I live in KY and apparently anything can be fried in a Fry Daddy. Thank God.

gravatar EV - August 13, 2007 - 5:52 PM -