Weasley is our king!

To begin with, I have to say that I really liked the movie version of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. It is a huge challenge to turn an 896-page book into a 138-minute movie and they did pretty well with it. I do still miss the things that had to be cut, though. I shall hide further discussion of this subject in the extension, for those of you who have not seen the film yet.

srah - Thursday, 12 July 2007 - 12:58 PM
Tags: , , , , ,

gravatar John - July 12, 2007 - 1:55 PM -

Agree on all counts. My nine-year-old daughter loved it, too, especially when I informed her that the actor playing Kinglsey Shacklebolt had also done the voice of Sebastian the Lobster in "The Little Mermaid." (Turns out I was wrong, but what the hey.)

gravatar srah - July 12, 2007 - 2:26 PM -

No, but he was Katanga in Raiders of the Lost Ark! I didn't make that connection at all!

gravatar Sarah - July 12, 2007 - 3:38 PM -

All kinds of yes. I'm still in the honeymoon phase of loving the movie, but you're exactly right with the Department of Mysteries scene: it would have been far better to split them up, and give Neville more of a shot.

gravatar camille - July 12, 2007 - 4:06 PM -

All perfectly-said! I missed the hospital thing too. Yeah, and like we discussed, the ending was sicky ("In fact, Voldemort, I feel sorry for you.") Harry's waaaaaay too positive-- I hope they tone it down in the next film.

gravatar srah - July 12, 2007 - 4:08 PM -

I read Harry Potter for the Extreme Teenaged Angst SUPREEEEEEME, not for sappy lessons about friendship! :D

gravatar J - July 13, 2007 - 1:06 AM -

Alan Rickman AND Captain Katanga? Holy wow. I totally missed the Katanga thing and that's so very awesome. Can't wait for the 6th (and presumably 7th) films just because they'll have so much more Alan Rickman.

Saw it tonight. This was the first film I'd seen in which I'd read the book first so I finally had the "Hey, they left stuff out!" thing instead of the "OMG this is the longest movie in the history of the world" thing. Some good, some bad, but I'll spare the lengthy blah from your comments page. Mostly I think it was a good adaption, if a little weak on capturing a lot of the important story about the prophecy and such. But what can you do? It's a 900 page book and you need to spend lots of time having teenagers stand around emoting and doing the Dawson's Creek thing.

gravatar alfie - July 13, 2007 - 5:53 PM -

I love Neville.

gravatar Greg - July 15, 2007 - 3:46 PM -

I think the changed ending sequence was an improvement. The book's ending WAS confusing. The movie's climax was exciting and tense; I can't say that about the book's. Also, you may not like "You'll never know LOVE," but it's a fair representation of what happened in the book. Dumbledore explains to Harry that his capacity for love prevented the Voldemort-snake from killing him. To which I say BALDERDASH. Voldemort is a serious badass by the end of Goblet, and now Harry just felt a little touchy feely and he's saved? Fortunately, Half Blood Prince was a significant step up from the turgid Phoenix, so I am cautiously optimistic that the story might end okay.

gravatar srah - July 15, 2007 - 4:51 PM -

I can see how it's a fair representation of what was actually going on, but half the story in OOTP is that Harry has complicated emotions that he can't understand or express and knowing and admitting that love is important isn't particularly in-character for Harry.

gravatar srah - July 16, 2007 - 6:16 AM -

I'm Hermione. The quiz wasn't very subtle about it, either.