Next entry:
Blog errors »

Zucchini-owner to Zillionaire in ten easy steps

Step one: Co-worker brings bag of zucchini to work to give away
Step two: Srah adopts a zucchini, brings zucchini home to live in her kitchen for a short while before its impending slaughter
Step three: Srah realizes that she doesn't know any recipes that involve zucchini
Step four: Srah searches online for recipes involving zucchini
Step five: Srah does not immediately find anything appealing
Step six: Srah remembers that while she doesn't think of herself as a zucchini-hata, the last time there was zucchini on her plate in a restaurant, she ate around it
Step seven: Srah begins to worry about the responsibility she has taken on and whether she should just find alternate uses for the zucchini, such as wrapping it in a blanket and pretending it's a doll or hitting someone over the head with it
Step eight: Srah implores blog readers to share their favorite zucchini related recipes
Step nine: ???
Step ten: Profit!!

Difficulty: Nothing Cajun, Creole or otherwise Louisianan. Not zucchini bread, as I'm still working my way through a loaf of banana bread. For our foreign readers: Replace "zucchini" with "courgette".

srah - Wednesday, 28 June 2006 - 10:56 PM
Tags: ,

gravatar Greg - June 28, 2006 - 11:26 PM -

Goddamn it, I was gonna suggest bread, because otherwise I am myself a "hata."

gravatar jamelah - June 29, 2006 - 9:13 AM -

I am a big fan of zucchini. I like it so much that I just slice it, steam it and eat it, slightly crispy, slightly tender. Sometimes I sautee it in butter (okay, butter-flavored PAM) with a little bit of salt and pepper, or some other spice if I'm feeling saucy. Like garlic, or something. I like it with yellow squash because the colors are pretty together, and I'm a big fan of aesthetics in food. Yeah.

gravatar Cheryl - June 29, 2006 - 9:23 AM -

I like to just grill up the zucchini. It's good grilled with olive oil or all by itself.

gravatar J - June 29, 2006 - 10:04 AM -

M and I made zucchini pancakes a few weeks ago. But honestly, and she may disagree, I thought they did not differ significantly from regular thin pancakes. I don't know how much the zucchini really added to them. Aside from zucchini-goodness and/or nutrition I mean.

gravatar Mr. Siegal - June 29, 2006 - 11:57 AM -

I am a big fan of grilling Zuch as well. Grill some fish and have the Zuch on the side. Olive oil, pepper/spice blend (red, black, white peppwe with rosemary and sea salt).

I have found the pepper blend to add an amazing taste and excitemnt of flavors to about anything.

gravatar srah - June 29, 2006 - 12:31 PM -

I have no grill! :'(

gravatar Noor - June 29, 2006 - 4:34 PM -

Arabs stuff it. It is pretty good.

My mom also makes a good salad/appetizer with zucchini. I think it involves the mashing of zucchini, eggplant, and tomatoes. I'm guessing it has olive oil, garlic, and pine nuts (not mashed).

gravatar srah - June 29, 2006 - 6:31 PM -

Stuff it with what? The salad thing sounds good.

gravatar Erika - June 29, 2006 - 9:22 PM -

In 6th grade I made a model of an animal cell out of one end of a giant zucchini and filled it with raspberry jello for the cytoplasm. Have you thought about donating yours for the cause of science?

gravatar srah - June 29, 2006 - 10:10 PM -

It's summer. No one does science in the summer. :(

Except scientists, and that's why they're LAME!

gravatar Aunt Pam - June 30, 2006 - 8:43 AM -

Golly Sarah, my favorite zucchini recipe is one of your mom's! Zucchini Pie! It's easy and yummy. Basically it's sauting zucchini, tomatos, and whatever other veggies you like (peppers, onions, summer squash). You can brown up some ground beef or turkey too. Put it in a pre-cooked pie crust (I use the pillsbury piecrusts because frozen piecrusts are downright awful and I'm too lazy to make one from scratch), slather on some CHEESE, and let the oven make it all melty and yummy. Add a tossed salad and it's a meal. I've made so many variations of this with different herbs and seasonings (can we all say Tabasco?) that you'd have to ask your mother about the original.

gravatar srah - June 30, 2006 - 1:53 PM -

I don't remember her ever making that for US!

gravatar Jamie - July 2, 2006 - 4:58 AM -

I did something like a zucchini casserole once. I'm not sure what would be the proper culinary english term, but I'll try to describe it as well as I can.

I cut a Zucchini in long pieces and put them on the bottom of a casserole dish. Then I mixed fried minced meat with tomatoes and lots of spicy spices (maybe onions too) and put it on top of the zucchini. Add cheese on the top and put in the oven. Done. I hope this made any sense.

gravatar Aunt Pam - July 2, 2006 - 8:19 AM -

I was talking with your mom about some of her recipes that were our favorites. As I was mentioning them she kept saying "oh I haven't made that in so long." Of course I ate a lot of her food when she was a young bride and had her nose in a cookbook. Virginia Supper Casserole is a big favorite, as is her Cheese soup recipe. SrahMom is a great cook!

gravatar srah - July 2, 2006 - 10:40 AM -

You guys have come up with a lot of yummy-sounding things. I guess I'd better attack that zucchini tonight!

gravatar Bridget - July 3, 2006 - 6:45 AM -

If you like chocolate cake, you can do a chocolate cake with zucchini in it. The Z just makes the cake moister (and probably low fat??). If you're interested, you can try to search that recipe, or just shoot me an email and I can send you the recipe.

gravatar Bridget - July 3, 2006 - 6:48 AM -

I found the recipe online (with a picture):

Reading the ingredients (haven't had the cake in a while), it is reminiscent of carrot cake (spiciness), but very chocolate-y good. And no one will know that it has zucchini in it unless you tell them - promise!

gravatar srah - July 3, 2006 - 6:53 AM -

Ooh, thanks!

gravatar krista. - July 3, 2006 - 12:52 PM -

My favorite zucchini recipe is actually just a recipe that has zucchini in it... It's especially good if you have a need for leftovers (lunches) or if you anticipate having company. We made it all the time in Cork because courgettes were cheap and plentiful.

Anywho, take about 500g of pasta (about a pound) and cook it al dente. In a saute pan, saute (duh) the courgettes and whatever other veg you like (onions, garlic, tomatoes sans skin, and red peppers are all good options) until they're cooked through. Stir in a little more than half (unless you love the stuff) an American sized jar of pasta sauce (your favorite, or whatever you have lying around). Pour the drained, cooked pasta into a glass cake pan or casserole dish (not metal!), pour the veg/sauce on top and stir in the pan until everything is coated with a little bit of sauce. Stir in about 200g of cheese (or as much as you like...some folks are cheesier than others). We used a sort of Irishised mix of Italian cheeses. Mozzerella would be fine on its own. Whatever you like really. Stir that around until it's incorporated into the pasta mix. Put a little bit of cheese on top (because we all love that bubbly cheesy top), and bake at 350 (or 180C) for 20-30 minutes. Basically, when the cheese is to your desired level of bubbly cookédness, it's done. Eat.