Do You Know What I Hear?

There's this song that I kept hearing on the radio and in the malls over the break. I like it and I want to know who sings it and perhaps purchase this song. Unfortunately, I don't have much to go on because I keep picking out snippets of the lyrics and trying to remember them so I can Google the song when I get home. Then I forget.

It may or may not have something to do with ice skating or snow angels or something. It's sung by a female. There's something a little old-fashioned about it. I can't remember the tune but I would recognize it if I heard it. I keep thinking of that song about the brand new pair of roller skates, but I'm not sure if that's because the songs sound similar or because they may or may not both involve skating. Any suggestions? Have you heard something on the radio recently about ice skating? Or not about ice skating? If you give me some leads, I can listen to the excerpts in the iTunes Music Store and tell you if you're right. Please don't make me go to Ask MetaFilter!

I hope it isn't a Christmas song because then I'll have to wait a year to figure it out.

srah - Monday, 2 January 2006 - 4:58 PM

gravatar Jamie - January 2, 2006 - 5:23 PM -

Brand New Key is a great song and I love it, but of course I have no idea what song you're looking for. The only recent song I have heard that involved skating was Lily Frost's Skating on the River and regardless of whether this is what you're looking for or not, you should try that one out. Because I love it nearly as much as I love Brand New Key.

(Now that we have a car and actually listen to the radio again I start having the same problems. There's one thing I have heard at least twice and both times I thought it was great, but I couldn't remember anything long enough to google it at home. Grrrr. They should force these guys to always tell you what song was playing.)

gravatar Aunt Pam - January 2, 2006 - 6:02 PM -

Melanie!!!!!!!!! Whee! What a great reminder of a grand song! "Ohhhhhhhhh I've got a brand new pair of roller skates, You've got a brand new key, I think that we should get together and try them out you see . . .I've been lookin' around awhile, you've got something for me Ohhh I've got a brand new pair of roller skates, you've got a brand new key!" sigh* Oh the nostalgia!

gravatar Jeremy - January 3, 2006 - 2:18 AM -

If you said the station, it would have helped...I'm guessing Mushaboom by Feist on 107.1, since it seems to be a local law that every merchant in town MUST play the local radio station--and they play the song a lot.

Old fashioned, jingling bells, and lyrics like "sha-boom, sha-boom, over the knee-deep snow, sha-boom sha-boom" Lyrics courtesy of lyrics.com follow (so who knows if they're right):

Helping the kids out of their coats
But wait the babies haven't been born
Unpacking the bags and setting up
And planting lilacs and buttercups

But in the meantime I've got it hard
Second floor living without a yard
It may be years until the day
My dreams will match up with my pay

Old dirt road Knee deep snow
Watching the fire as we grow old

I got a man to stick it out
And make a home from a rented house
And we'll collect the moments one by one
I guess that's how the future's done

How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map

Old dirt road Knee deep snow
Watching the fire as we grow old
Old dirt road Rambling rose
Watching the fire as we grow well I'm sold

gravatar srah - January 3, 2006 - 6:42 AM -

Holy crap, you've got it! I came up with the tune this morning when I woke up, but the only lyrics I could come up with were "snow" and "as we go". Since it was actually "as we grow" Googling just kept giving me some Lee Ann Womack Christmas songs. That's what happens when someone so lyrics-deficient sends out a request like this!

So no... nothing about ice skating. Or snow angels. D'oh!

gravatar Jamie - January 3, 2006 - 9:29 AM -

Mushaboom is a great song. For me it was instant love.
Still, it's amazing that someone actually found your song.

gravatar Jodi - January 3, 2006 - 10:45 AM -

Now that you've found your song, let me tell you that Rasputina does a version of "Brand New Key" that's quite delicious. You may enjoy it.

gravatar Jamie - February 6, 2006 - 8:09 AM -

You really should check one of the first mixes I sent you. If I didn't screw up my iPod-Playlists Mushaboom should be on there. Duh!

(I admit I didn't realize that until I actually listened to the mix last Friday.)

gravatar srah - February 6, 2006 - 8:37 AM -

Oh really? I'll take a look. Maybe I liked it because it sounded familiar!