Previous entry:
« I like Inuktitut!

Out, damned allium cepa!

I DO NOT HAVE OBSESSIVE-COMPULSIVE DISORDER!

It's just that I chopped some onions last night.

And nothing helps. I've washed my hands in hot water. I've washed my hands in cold water. I've put lemon juice on them (and isn't that delightful on my papercut?). I've tried rubbing salt on them. (Looking back at what I've done so far, I might as well douse them in tequila.) I've put lotion on them. I've put a different lotion on them. I've washed them agian and again. My hands still smell like onions! Will the torture never end???

srah - Monday, 21 November 2005 - 8:54 PM

gravatar Sarah - November 21, 2005 - 10:13 PM -

It seems like tomato juice would work...throw in some cucumber, use your finger as a stir stick and you could have a lovely gaspacho.

gravatar srah - November 21, 2005 - 10:15 PM -

Gazpacho is my nemesis! I always order it, thinking I'm going to like it, and then it turns out to be, like, clumpy tomato juice or runny salsa or something.

gravatar Your Anonymous RWYDK - November 21, 2005 - 11:42 PM -

Try vinegar ... it also works on gasoline and diesel fuel, BTW. Or try soap with vinegar.

gravatar jamelah - November 22, 2005 - 7:50 AM -

No. It will never end. Um, well, it will eventually, but not today. Doesn't matter what I try to get rid of the onion smell, once I chop onions, my hands have that lovely onion smell for about 3 days. But maybe you'll be luckier than me. /voice of doom

gravatar martha - November 22, 2005 - 9:42 AM -

If you have a stainless steel faucet or sink then rub your hands along the faucet or the sink while you're washing them with soap. Not sure why but the stainless gets garlic and onion smells out really well... works for my missus and she's got the driest hands which just suck in odors like there's no tomorrow.

gravatar katie - November 22, 2005 - 10:05 AM -

Why don't you just suck on your fingers until they get all pruney, and then peel off the softened outer layer of skin?

Ew, that grossed me out too.

gravatar Not your mom - November 22, 2005 - 11:50 AM -

I have heard that steel will take the smell out and they even sell a lump of metal to be used for taking away hand smells. Really strange. You might consider getting a box of rubber gloves to wear when cutting onions or other icky things.

gravatar sarah - November 22, 2005 - 6:49 PM -

what martha said. it works.