Hush hush, eye to eye

It's been a big week for Sarah Being Outgoing. Whereas I am usually very comfortable staying in my shell and speaking only when spoken to, I've tried to be more active recently in Getting Out of My Comfort Zone. This has included:

• Going up to a friend of the family after the lecture he gave on campus and introducing myself (whereas I normally would have attended and slunk out and later tried to pass on the word through my mom that I'd attended)
  • Finally calling the rental agency to complain about my leaky toilet¹, which involved a) using the phone and b) saying the word "toilet" to a stranger.
  • Going to Buffalo Wild Wings (eek!)
  • Walking up to maize-and-blue-clad strangers at Buffalo Wild Wings and saying "You don't know me, but I want to cheer for Michigan. Can I sit with you?"
  • Going to a cultural event on campus instead of yet again planning to do it and then chickening out at the last minute because I'm already at home and can't be bothered to leave again (bringing a friend along helped!)
  • Leaving the house to go to a benefit event even after my friend left instead of just staying at home for the rest of the evening
  • Bidding on things in an auction at the benefit

I'm quite proud of myself. I wasn't quite up to dancing to the Beatles cover band at the benefit in front of strangers and co-workers, but I felt I'd made enough progress lately that I'd allow myself to skip out on that one.

–––––
¹ The water in the tank leaks into the bowl at an alarming rate, causing the tank to refill every five minutes or so. My temporary fix is to close the valve when I'm not using it.

srah - Saturday, 19 November 2005 - 11:22 PM

gravatar Mary - November 20, 2005 - 2:23 AM -

Wow you did a lot of things to try and be more outgoing! I am EXACTLY like you when it comes to stuff like that! It seems like you're feeling more outgoing with leaps and bounds! Remember to always be yourself though, it's ok to be shy when you want to :)

gravatar Cari - November 20, 2005 - 10:55 AM -

I'm so proud of you!

gravatar Not your mom - November 20, 2005 - 11:04 AM -

They should come right away and replace that flapper in your toilet to stop that leak! How inconvenient!!

Good for you for getting out to experience life. I know how difficult it can be and it only gets harder as you get older. After a certain age you can think of more reasons to stay home and go to bed early.

gravatar katie - November 20, 2005 - 11:10 AM -

I'm very proud of you, and I applaud your decision not to dance. Beatles cover bands suck because they're not the real thing. Uh oh, I feel a strange, ethereal presence overtaking me...

Sraaaaaah...this is your conscience speaking...what about NaaaaaaNoooooWriiiiMooooo.....

Ugh! Get it off! Get it off! Yuck. Srah, I do NOT like being posessed by your conscience.

gravatar sarah - November 20, 2005 - 11:12 PM -

hi! I think you are very brave. not to question you, but what's so good about being outgoing anyway? maybe i'm just making excuses for myself for being shy though. i'll keep reading to see if you like being an outgoing srah better.

gravatar Fraulein N - November 21, 2005 - 9:43 AM -

Glad you're making progress. I'm so bad, just reading about all the things you're doing makes me a little nervous.

gravatar jday - November 21, 2005 - 12:48 PM -

*very impressed*, srah. You may turn in to an extrovert, yet! Or not. Either way, I have issues with cheering for U of M, but you go grrrl! (too much time with the jr high youth group. must seek intelligent conversation now)

gravatar sarah - November 21, 2005 - 3:44 PM -

that's awesome. i know it's hard to make yourself get up and do that stuff, especiialy if you're alone.

gravatar srah - November 21, 2005 - 10:08 PM -

other srah: What's good about being outgoing is that if I hadn't done these things, my toilet would still be leaking, I would have either sat by myself and felt self-conscious at the bar or would have chickened out altogether (and wouldn't have seen any of the game, because I don't have TV reception in my apartment) and I would have missed the show, the dinner and the benefit!